Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing from a boat, northern utah.
I'm itching to try some night fishing from a boat. I'll be up north so I'm thinking either willard bay or manuta. Do I have to be off the lakes at a certain time or am I good to go? Also can I have success with something other than catfish? Like bass, wiper or walleye up there in willard or manuta? I've fished Em plenty in the day and know what to do there but I have no experience with this night time situation. Any tips are fyi's would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
[signature]
I don't think you would have any problem at either lake, staying past dark. The gate is locked at Willard for those coming in but going out isn't a problem as long as you don't back up at the gate, because of the tire rippers. I can't tell you about the bass at Mantua after dark but you can catch walleye after dark at Willard, not sure about the wipers. I don't fish Willard after dark but I would think worm harnesses and bottom bouncers would work.
[signature]
That does sound fun with enough bug spray and a thermacel! Let us know how it goes, I'd love to give it a try if I ever get a free knight!
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info guys, yeah I'll go out friday night, probably fish from 8 to midnight or so with my brothers. I'll let you all know how it goes!
[signature]
Hello SirSimba55, I have'nt fished Willard or Mantua at night. But I have great success at Starvation at night using a green light. The production level is off the charts.
[signature]
I'm guessing you were jigging but what were you using for bait or lure. What kind of fish were you catching? Did you have the green light in the water?
[signature]
starvation is not good at night, don't do it, millions on mosquitos that will carry a small boy off, large land locked sea snakes that will swallow your dog, idiots on jet ski's running into your boat, moby dick was once spotted, and there's pioneer ghosts that starved along the trail on their way to the promised land.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
We anchor up and put the green light in the water and vertical jig glow jigs with night crawlers. Catch mostly walleye and trout lots of both
[signature]
Seems like this conversation has come up before but where did you buy your green light?
[signature]
Love fishing walleye after dark at Deer Creek, Starvation, and years back at Yuba, throwing cranks and plastics . I have caught walleye in the past after dark at Willard trolling cranks along the dikes when the water is high. Good luck on your trip.
[signature]
I've heard about them green lights, some people swear by them, others say it's just a gimmick...thoughts?
There is little doubt they work, if you fish at night much, it could be worth it.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ts;#243052

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ts;#120419

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ts;#181874

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...ts;#857878
[signature]
If Willard and Mantua are your only two options, then you should probably go with Willard.

Most of the species that are in Mantua are generally not active at night, maybe with the exception of rainbows.

You can get into the walleye at Willard at night, especially this time of year. Just pack your bug spray because they're really bad out there. Watch out for that island!
[signature]
I belong to a walleye club and a guy that lives in clearfield makes them. PM me and i'll give you his number if your interested
[signature]
Thanks for the offer but I rarely fish at night but just so I know, how much do they cost?
[signature]
they are the best I've ever seen he encloses the led lights in a piece of clear PVC pipe and they are&225.00
[signature]
Cabela's has one for $20 for a small one, up to $60 for a long one. I have one that's probably 24 inches but not LED and I think I got it from Cabela's for stripers at Powell. You really need one for night fishing for the stripers.
------------------------
[signature]
Wow, that isn't cheap, if I ever decide to get into night fishing, I think I'll go with a cheaper one like MisterCompletely posted about. Thanks again for the info.
[signature]
Largemouth fishing can be very good at night, especially around the full moon. I've done best on various noisy topwaters and a black spinnerbait with a large single Colorado blade. The key is slow way down. Crawl those baits. Sometimes in the heat of summer the bigger fish aren't very active during the day and you have a much better chance at them at night.
[signature]
I think the theory follows - the light draws in the phytoplankton, they draw in the bait fish, baitfish draw in the bigger fish - and the knee bone's connected to the . . .

I don't know why she swallowed the fly, but dammit, if it means fish are biting - BRING IT!

I've knowm restaurants that had a bug-zapper hanging over a pond, and then done had a veritable school of hungry nippers hanging out below for the grilled specialty.