Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead - 07/19 - Boils, boils and more boils
What a great day to be fishing! Hit the lake at 5:30 am out of boulder bay. Started to head towards the wash but only made it as far as the intake tower. Hit a very big boil, probably one of the largest I have seen in the last 5 years on the lake. It started a couple hundred yards east of the intake and stretched the length of 5 or 6 football fields. It lasted for nearly 70 minutes! Absolutely insane. Within the first 40 minutes i had already brought in 30+ fish all with top water zara spooks. By the time the boil died down I was well north of the first island that you get to after you pass the intake. In all I kept 18 from the boil and released about 20. Needless to say I was a little exhausted from fishing within my first 90 minutes on the water.

After that I headed north to check out the coves around bathroom cove. Hit a medium sized boil on the way and landed 6 on back to back casts before the boil moved on. Then hit another medium sized boil in the next cove pulling in 3 more. Could have caught many more but my trolling motor remote died so I spent some time messing around with that. Love my new Motorguide Xi5 but learned the hard way to bring spare batteries.

By 10:30 am I had brought in approx 50 fish. Anywhere from 3.5 lbs to dinks. Most of the fish were in the 1.5 lb range. Along the way I nearly caught two seagulls during the boils. They would grab my lures and fly away with them, was careful to pull away but not hard enough to hook them. As fun as it seemed hooking a bird I really didnt want to deal with that mess in my boat.

I probably saw more bait in the water on Sunday then I have seen all year. It seemed every cove had a concentration of shad. Mostly small ones but it was bringing in the fish. Lots and lots of top water action all morning.

Around 11 am my GF and her best friend showed up so we spent the rest of the day enjoying the sun and some beer. In all a great day! I only took a couple of pics...well of the fish at least, the rest probably arent appropriate for this forum lol.

This is a snap shot of my deck after about 20 minutes into the big boil.
[signature]
Awesome! I've only hit something like that once. Silly crazy fun time!
[signature]
Well done Billy! Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Billy,

Nice report. How deep and narrow was the passage out of Boulder Harbor?
[signature]
Slayer! Nice work man! Glad you got into them.
[signature]
The outlet varied in depth from 3-6 foot. Its plenty wide on both sides, I just recommend staying close to the shore. The rock build up in the center is only about 8 inches under water. I saw so good sized boats going through with no problem, just trim your motor up a little.
[signature]
This is good to hear. I've been focusing on tuna fishing (SD) with little love so some striper boils should soothe my weary fishing heart. Thanks for posting.

Oh and as a mod, I'd be happy to review those questionable photos, just pm them to me and I'll let you know. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Excellent! That is the type of news I've been waiting for.I had a feeling that they were going to blowup soon.Way to go.
[signature]
Glad to hear the bites on! Thanks for the heads up!
[signature]
That's sweet! Where is boulder bay? Never heard of it. Trying to get more acquainted with the lake.
[signature]
Nice haul! I have been waiting for the boils to pop up. Hope they are out there next time I show up.

With respect to the intake tower you referred to, is that the one along Saddle island that currently reaches the water? I think its like 80-90 ft deep there? The only other intake tower I know is immediately to the right outside Boulder Harbor, but the intake pipes are well above water now.

Thanks.
[signature]
[quote pink0kiki]That's sweet! Where is boulder bay? Never heard of it. Trying to get more acquainted with the lake.[/quote]

I am assuming this is Boulder Harbor/Boulder Beach area.
[signature]
Sounds fun! I was on powell throwing spinnerbaits for LMB and smallies when a boil erupted around me. Non stop action. Even caught LMB in the fruckass. It was near dark and when the bite stopped we changed baits from chartreuse to blue chartruese and continued on the bite.
[signature]