Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally caught my first fish with a fly rod!
I can definitely see why some people fish exclusively with fly rods.... it is way more fun, and more of an experience!

I've been out several times on my own trying to learn by trial and error with no success. This time I took my dad out with me and he was able to give me a few crucial pointers that i had been missing. I was able to land 4 rainbows out of little cottonwood creek using a nymph (don't as me which kind because i forgot the name of it haha) I missed several others because as my dad puts it, i am lousy at setting the hook propery. I blame that on year and years of bait fishing where setting the hook wasn't as important.

I don't know if I will be able to go back to using a regular set up for awhile, since catching them with a fly rod was so much more fun.
[signature]
Welcome to the world of fly fishing. In time you may return to the world of spinning gear. I use both fly, spin, bait cast. Enjoy it while you can.[laugh]
[signature]
Sweet! I always find I get my, "first's," when I go out with family. First brown, first whitefish, first cut throat, first moose encounter, first brook trout have all been with my brother Alex and JT.

Whenever you need a stroke of luck, looks like you need to call the old man.
[signature]
I'm 66 years old and I cant remember the first fish i cought on a fly rod. But I remember vividly the first fish I cought on a fly that I tied. Welcome to a sport that will last a lifetime.
[signature]
That's not always true. I haven't touched a spinning rod since 1+ years .[Tongue]
[signature]
You obviously didn't see the part that said you may, not you will.
[signature]