Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predator 13
Hello everyone! I've been fishing for many years now, and want to get a yak for extra fun! I am looking at the Old Time Predator 13. Can I get some opinions on it? Should I look at something else instead? Thanks for the input! See ya on the water!
[signature]
I answered this in another forum, but for those who didn't see it:

I know nothing bad about the Predator 13. It should serve you well.

I recommend that you take your 'yak to a small protected lake the first time, ad leave your expensive fishing gear at home. Take nothing but your PFD, because you may well roll your 'yak a time or two learning to get in and out of it.

Get in, paddle around, and get to know your new craft. Learning to get back in after a tumble is a good thing to practice.
[signature]
I am 68 years old and fish a lot. I currently use a Scadden Renegade frameless pontoon, and a 9' aluminum Klamath. I'm interested in kayaks and have "web searched" a lot of them. I've seen the Predator 13, and think it's a great boat. But it weighs "a ton". I'm in good physical condition and am capable of lifting it onto the rack on my truck, but I prefer something in the 50-60 pound range...and they exist...Native Watercraft, Ocean Kayak...Feel Free Emotion.

If weight is not a concern...the Predator sure looks good to me.
[signature]
I'm also 68, and I have no problem getting my 100+lb Pro Angler atop my Toyota Highlander. The method is to lift only the bow, place it on the rear rack. Then lift the stern and shove. There are several youtube vids demonstrating the drill.

The most you lift at once is about half the weight of the 'yak. So you needn't be a weightlifter.
[signature]
The Predator 13 is an excellent ride, I purchased one in June and love it. The only problem I have found is I tend to over pack it because there is so much storage. I am 6'2" and 260 and can stand and paddle or cast. It is stable in some very large wakes, I have even had them crash over the deck at Pineview with the power squadron. The seat stay comfy all day.
I hope this helps and good luck.
[signature]