Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the Gorge this week
heading back to the Gorge this week for some Kokes and Macs. Using Lucerne Marina. Has anyone done well there recently?

Many thanks,
Trueblue
[signature]
We are headed there this week too and have been wondering the same thing. I think we will be putting in at Anvil.
[signature]
Two weeks ago you needed to be fishing by 5:30 am to get the big kokes
The laker pups are all over the place and not to hard to catch
I was going to fish for the big lakers in the PM but the weather would not let us.
[inline "Lake Trout.jpg"]
this looks like a laker that was at 50' and went down to 78'
[signature]
What if the fish that appears to be 78' deep is actually on the outside of the sonar cone, several feet to the side of the boat, and 78' from the transducer, but maybe 65' deep. I've never even thought of that before and I don't know the answer. But in this case even on the narrow beam, it still appears to be 78' deep, so that's probably accurate. Still, I have to wonder if fish on the outside edges of the beam cone appear to be deeper than they really are, since they're farther from the transducer. [crazy]
[signature]
I fished Friday evening and Saturday. I jigged for macks and got several bites and had a couple on but didn't get any to the boat. They were more scattered than usual I thought. The koke bite was not that hot. The area south of Brennegers had the most that I found. I had to work for them and never caught one on the usual pink squid. I got 4 small ones and 2 around 4lbs. I was trolling over the top of a bunch and had to shut the motor off for something about long enough to come to a stop and then started up again and bam! I fished a couple more hours with no bites and tried shutting the motor off again over top of a bunch bam again. 4 out of the 6 I caught was doing this and it took until 3:30 to get them. I didn't see anybody hammering them.
[signature]
We also fished Friday evening and Saturday morning but only focused on Kokes. Did okay Friday evening but Saturday was "a new day". Seemed like boat traffic drove them down and scattered them out. Appreciate the tip on speed.. I'll give that a try next time. Everyone I spoke with said the same thing... SLOW...
[signature]
changing speeds Works read this
[url "http://www.itroll.us/itroll.hunt.html"]http://www.itroll.us/itroll.hunt.html[/url]

The iTroll: kicker throttle control helpl you catch more fish
[signature]
[quote liketrolling]changing speeds Works read this
[url "http://www.itroll.us/itroll.hunt.html"]http://www.itroll.us/itroll.hunt.html[/url]

We were up a little over a week ago and did well for the kokes and laker pups. We found on the kokes that varying the speed did help. We fished the Utah side with a pink/silver flasher and a pink squids down around 40-45 feet. We caught some big ones and plenty of medium to smaller ones. We also jigged for kokes and pup macs and did quite well. The main problem was wind, every time I located fish and busted out the jigging rods the wind picked up. We also got all of our kokes before Saturday, they must know when the crowds show up.
[signature]
Hoping to get up there to fish for smallies and jig for laker pups. Any suggestions on where we can jig for them? I don't need to know where the trophies hang out, just looking to cross lakers off the lifetime list.
[signature]
Lakers are usually on structure, points and ridges around 100 feet plus or minus 30 feet that are next to steep drop offs into deeper water. GPS with structure map is important. With that said most spots fitting that description between Linwood and Buckboard hold fish they are usually within 10 feet of the bottom. Try Antelope flat, Anvil Point and Swim Beach. You can look for other boats jigging but they a little scarce this time of year. I try to be respectful of others but have found there is not much honor among jiggers. Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks for the info. on changing trolling speeds. I'll have to look in to that technology.
[signature]