Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Went up North for a quick trip
I haven't posted a report in a while, mostly because I need a new computer so I can upload pics. I wish this forum worked w/ tapatalk. [frown] I still need a new computer so no pics, but here it is. [cool]

We took the 3 hour drive up to Echo Canyon Res. last Saturday and found a ton of little bass, eager to eat just about everything we threw at them

We used wax and earth worms under a bobber, which worked pretty well. We had the most fun, and spent the most time, throwing small floating crankbaits. There are a ton of weeds, so floating cranks were easier to keep from and get out of snags. Once you catch one or two in a spot, we'd move down a ways in either direction. The bite would die after one or two fish in a spot, but we could come back 10 minutes later and catch another.

I was running a Rebel grasshopper crank (second favorite to the crawdad). My buddies were throwing small rapalas in firetiger and rainbow trout. I don't believe the color really mattered though, they seemed to want to eat anything that moved. There were a lot of dragonflies being eaten on the surface, so a firefly pattern would work even better, I bet.

I saw one bass that was probably 14" and i know there has to be a big breeding mama in there somewhere. But I went for quantity over quality, haha.

In three hours, between the three of us, we caught close to 50 bass, 6-8". We farmed just as many on the open water release.

I'll tell you, it was a ton of fun. [fishin] Especially since I've been on a big bait/fish kick for the last year or so. It was really nice to get some consistent action.

I was fishing 4'6" ultralight rigs w/ 4lb test so they were a lot of fun to catch. My buddies were using standard trout gear and had to be careful not to horse them in and pull hooks.

After that, we headed over to walk the streams between Eagle Valley and Echo. We were drifting weightless earthworms in the stream. We all managed to catch crawdads, but there were no brown trout to be had. Some of the crawfish were too big to be eaten by the trout that live in that stream. After a while, it was lunch time so we headed in for some food.

It had gotten a bit later than we intended so instead of heading back to echo or eagle valley, we decided to press toward home and hit the upper Pahranagat pond on the way home. We stayed for about an hour and managed a few bullhead on earthworms under a bobber. We saw a lot of schooling/jumping carp, but had no way to target them. The water was very murky, so I added some scent to the worms. I believe that helped the catfish find our baits.

All in all it was a great day. Cooler temperatures, willing and plentiful fish, and good company. I had never thought of that area as a turn and burn, one day trip, but it worked out great.

I had a couple friends that visited Comins and Cave lakes that same weekend. They reported that fishing was slow for them. No pike, and only a few trout taken, respectively.
[signature]
I've done that trip several times as a one day'r. Long day for the driver but overall not too bad. A day of fishing is far better than working...
[signature]
We were out there Sunday to Monday and had a ton of fish. We tried Echo for an hour or so but didn't catch anything. Eagle Valley was on fire as soon as the sun atarted going down. We caught alt 60-70 LMB ranging from littly tiny to my biggest was 3lbs and my buddy got a 4.5lber. Good majority of them were probably in the 1lb range though. Funnest trip we've had up there though! Smile
[signature]
Just got a couple of pics. The fish were too small to long arm. [cool]
[signature]