Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tying for the Everglades...
1st attempt at saltwater flies (I better get some practice in the next two years before I move)...I think not bad, tying some larger ones for Snook and Tarpon in the glades.
[signature]
Toads. Tie some Toads for the tarpon, and snook like 'em too. Not too big either. 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" flies work wonders. 3" is usually tops for me. Size 1 and 1/0 hooks. You'll want a TMC 600sp hook, or equivalent, for the poons. Don't skimp on the hook. Order 'em. Short shank, wide gap, cutting point, premium-premium.

Snook mouths are a little easier to penetrate.
[signature]
Tying on 1/0 Gamagatsu, need to go get more material to tie toads, tied a few more of these about 2 1/2 inches.
[signature]
Nice looking flies. Now you're moving?
[signature]
Still have about 2 years until I move, I try to go down once a year and scope out new places in Florida to get a feel for where I want to end up, most likely on the gulf from Tampa to Naples...the ocean fly fishing bug has me hooked!

Grizzly Tarpon fly I tied up.
[signature]
Go south young man, go south. And west. The further, the better, until it really does get too expensive I guess. Summerland Key would be paradise found. Naples would be a good compromise. The Keys have both the Atlantic and the Gulf in the back yards though, and no place else in the world has that. I often still wish I had moved there 10 years ago when I had the chance and nearly did it. But the cost of living here is WAY less, giving me more time to fish, less days needing to work.
[signature]
I hope you invite me one day to fly fish in Florida [Wink]
[signature]
Mike,
I've been going down 1-2 times most years to the Keys and Everglades for over 30 years. Naples is as far north as any self respecting fishermen would want to live. Everything south of Naples except Marco Island is worth considering. Isle of Capre is a far better choice than that piece of Cleveland in South Florida. Everglades City has great access to 10,000 Islands but might be too far in the boonies for family. Marathon down to Summerland Key is the best of the Keys. Just be warned the Keys seldom dropped below 80 in the Summer months. The highs are usually low 90's but the heat index is usually approaching 110. The mainland feels downright cool on a summer morning compared to the Keys. It can only cool down so much when you're surrounded by 85-90 degree water on all sides in July and August. The other issue with the Keys is the traffic. At anytime a wreck on Highway 1 can add 30-60 minutes to a drive. Of course boat traffic and no wake cuts from Gulfside to Oceanside seldom slow you down more than a few minutes and are quite predictable.
Good Luck on your search.
[signature]
Thanks RD, how's your new digs? And the fishing?
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Mike,
Marathon down to Summerland Key is the best of the Keys. [/quote]

Yes. If I could click my heels together three times and end up anywhere on the planet for the rest of my life, that would be exactly the spot! Summerland, Cudjoe, Big Pine, etc. Almost did it 10 years ago. Shoulda, coulda, . . .

As for the heat, a nice long summer vacation to the Rockies helps a lot! That's what a lot of the residents do. Heat birds!
[signature]
Dont forget about the Bonefish. Not sure if its the right time of year or right area for bones but you gotta try. I am not salt expert as I have fished the flats all of one time, back in May, but it changed my life. All I want to do is go back. Caught bonefish (#8 WT) on the flats and baby tarpon (#9 WT) in the mangroves. Absolutely epic (I love the 80's).

When the day comes for retirement I am definitely going to consider south FL or even the keys (if I can afford something). Maybe get an old man RV and live out of that for 1/2 the year.

Bonefish are awesome and put up drag screaming runs. Nothing like hearing your backing-to-fly line knot zip through the guides in less than 3 seconds. What a rush.

I am a bass guy by trade but getting back into the fly game. Trout have their beauty and bass are fun but nothing beats the salt-flats and inshore. Pound for pound those fish will out fight all bass and trout I've ever caught.

HM
[signature]
Ya, no bones' that I know of in the Glades, I have fished them in the Keys and Belize, I do love them, snook are awesome and can't wait to get into some bigger Tarpon, 2 years and I am headed down for good!
[signature]
Jim,
You lived the dream when you split your time between Summerland and Flaming Gorge. Why you gave that up I'll never understand. But I'm living in suburban Boston working too much and barely fishing lately so whose to talk. Did just plan a trip to POW Island next July and August. Saving lots of money but I've got to get out of here before I get too old and mean.
Mike, There are bones in the Keys and Everglades but the numbers really plummeted with the 5 day cold snap back in late January early February 2010. They're recovering from what I've heard.
I'm really hoping to finally get my cabin in on POW Island next summer. It'll be small but it'll have a killer view from a small bluff overlooking Etolin Straight.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Jim,
You lived the dream when you split your time between Summerland and Flaming Gorge. Why you gave that up I'll never understand.[/quote]
1. Age. Cant guide 12 months a year any more. Don't want to either. I am liking "semi_retired" life. ( like right now, chilling out on the Henry's Fork for the last week, with another few weeks left to chill out anywhere else I want in Idaho or Montana!)

2. $$ I was guiding all winter just to break even with the cost of housing, operating a boat and business, and salt water corrosion on everything. All work and no profit.

3. I wanted to see how the baby tarpon fishing was in Mexico, which I've come to find out is pretty awesome, and I'm the one getting poled around instead of doing the poling. Being on the bow of the boat is more fun than being over the stern.

I miss the Keys dearly every winter and spring, but right now, the last couple of years, I've been closer than ever to living the dream!

Now if I could afford to live in the keys and still only work 120 days a year. . .
[signature]