Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alaskan looking to fish southern utah?
Im down here in Washington Utah looking for places to fish. In my research it looks like the Asay can be good, but maybe the Freemont might be better, but I really have no clue where to go. There is also the green river but i read a report that walk-ins were slow. I know its hot as hell right now so I'm assuming the fish are going to be deep and will probably be more likely to move for sculpins rather then drys, although i much prefer dry fly fishing. So if anybody out there has any advice for me it would be much appreciated. In exchange for some good advise I would certainly be forthcoming with my years of experience fly fishing in Alaska. Also I going at this solo so if anybody need a fishing partner or a guy on the sticks I'd be down. thanks
[signature]
Try going to sand hollow. Yes this is a warm water fishery but you will have a blast catching the bass. Streamers work well. Top water is good early morning.
[signature]
Thanks. I might have to try that. I don't get too excited about bass, but I see it's only 15mins away from where I'm at. Any hints on where to find them? Im guessing around some structure, weed beds points islands etc.
[signature]
You got it. Bass love structure.
[signature]
Try the Sevier River right out of Hatch. There are public access points right where the stream crosses the river as you head up the mountain out of hatch that can be really good. I would also suggest Black Canyon....the East Fork of the Sevier in Black Canyon can be awesome for dry fly fishing this time of year...I was there two weeks ago and caught lots of browns and cuts with a hopper/dropper set up. IF you fish Black Canyon, fish above the old mill...drive up the highway until you top out in John's Valley and simply choose a two track dirt road to head over to the river. These access points are can't miss for good fly fishing. I also really like throwing wooly buggers...brown, black, green, all will work!

The Sevier River--in my opinion--is quite possibly the most overlooked top notch fly fishing stream around. Personally, I would suggest that it is better than the Green. Black Canyon is one of my all-time favorite places to fish. Good trout can be found near Antimony, Panguitch, Circleville, and Marysvale....

....one thing to be aware of though are afternoon showers. Thunderstorms and rain showers can quickly muddy the stream and mess up fishing. So, watch your weather!

IF you are not concerned with the size of the fish, Utah offers a million little streams with small fish that are readily caught on dry flies. And, if you are really up for some of the most unique fly fishing for trout anywhere, hit calf creek near the town of boulder. The scenery won't disappoint and the stream is full of brown trout!
[signature]
Dewey...I live out in Santa Clara....I fly fish exculsively southern/central utah ...I work at Dicks sporting goods in St. George...come by sometime and ask for Jeff. I can definitely help direct you to some areas to fish. welcome to sunny southern utah
[signature]