Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Near Shore Rockfish
Salmon fishing was getting boring so went in search of near shore Rockfish. This technique worked well when I was in California for rockfish and I couldn't see why it wouldn't in Canada. So I gave it a try and it worked amazing. Jigging near shore off a rocky drop with a Big Hammer Swim Bait. The Rockfish were nearly jumping in the boat. All looked like Copper Rockfish, looks like a healthy population in this area. Had a few for the ice chest and to catch and release. So much fun catching these aggressive fish. Now that I know they are around I'll have to take along a bait casting rod next time and have some fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxzpqRWN14
[signature]
Looks like a fun outing, what was the longest Rockfish you caught? Did you catch anything but Rockfish?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Looks like a fun outing, what was the longest Rockfish you caught? Did you catch anything but Rockfish?[/quote]

I think the longest one was probably just around 14 inches. I only fished there for about 45 minutes before taking off, so Rockfish was all I caught. I thought I might catch a ling or something else, but they must be deeper at this time of year.

Next trip we're going some place different where they're known to have huge lings up to 80 pounds, halibut to 200 and yellow eye rockfish to 25. So hopefully we can find where they are hiding out.
[signature]