Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placement of fish Finders and How many
Just curious!!!!! How many fish finders do you have on your boat. And were are the transducers located. And were are the monitors located. I have three One transducer on the trolling motor and two on the transom. Monitors I have one up front , one in the middle and one in the back. and I think that its over kill. So what do you guys with boats have..????
Thanks
[fishin] One more thing..... How many of you have a Terrova with the Transducer attached to it?????
[signature]
I have only one and the transducer is mounted on the transom and the monitor is on the dash board near the wheel.
[signature]
I have two finders. One on my dash one mounted in the rear of the boat, but facing towards the bow (I use this to watch my downrigger weights when trolling and sitting facing the rear of the boat. Both transducers are mounted about 2" apart on the transom. I only use one finder or the other. If running both, there is too much interference and I would have the turn the sensitivity down so much they would be practically useless. My dashboard is a Lowrance X98DF and my main finder is a Humminbird 571HD DI. The Humminbird is really incredible, but it is also 10 years newer.
[signature]
Not overkill.

The more the merrier if one can afford it [Smile]

But... Getting around/dealing with the interference is the bigger issue with multiple transducers pinging at the same time.

That is always a juggling act for me.

Humminbird 798 DI/SI unit on the bow/trolling motor.
Humminbird 898 DI/SI unit on the console/transom.

Tom
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]I have two finders. One on my dash one mounted in the rear of the boat, but facing towards the bow (I use this to watch my downrigger weights when trolling and sitting facing the rear of the boat. Both transducers are mounted about 2" apart on the transom. I only use one finder or the other. If running both, there is too much interference and I would have the turn the sensitivity down so much they would be practically useless. My dashboard is a Lowrance X98DF and my main finder is a Humminbird 571HD DI. The Humminbird is really incredible, but it is also 10 years newer.[/quote]

Now if I had downriggers, fished the techniques you do all the time and had the $$ I'd be all over a pair of Ethernet capable Humminbirds mounted at the locations you mentioned and one transducer for your application. Ethernet connect them together and use one transducer. No messing around turning one on/off between running around and fishing.

Options, options, options... Only money.

Tom
[signature]
I'll soon have three finders but I already have the three transducers, I just move the one on my dash to the bow, when I sit up there but if I'm trolling that rarely happens. One transducer on either side of my transom and one on my elect trolling motor. When I get my new finder, I'll mount it in the back, like BLFG, because I'm always looking toward the back of the boat anyway. Now if I can just find a good deal on a Hummingbird like you did.
[signature]
I also have 3 finders on my boat. One up front on the trolling motor. one by the drivers side and one on the passenger side, with these two transducers mounted on the back of the boat.

I like having the two aft finders when running at Powell, where there can be abrupt changes in depth and you have to constantly be on the look out for underwater obstructions. Hardly ever use the finders for locating fish. I fish for Sm, Lg, mouth bass mostly.

The front finder is mostly for depth readings while fishing from the front for bass. Again this is mainly for detection of depth to protect against hitting something and changes in depth to fish dropoffs, etc..

I can see from the responses that how and what you fish for really does impact what and how many finders you use and how you use them. Thanks for the interesting post.
[signature]