Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk Hunting in Unit 32
My son and I drew a November Cow Elk hunt in Unit 32 (Sweet/Ola area). There is a lot of private land up there and I am not sure where to go. Has anyone hunted up there and, if so, would you be willing to give me advice on where we might find some elk in November? My son is still waiting for his first opportunity to harvest an elk so any advice would be greatly appreciated. My number is 869-1475 if you prefer to call. Thanks so much.
[signature]
I've hunted that area a lot and pretty much know it like the back of my hand. Which tag did you draw? East or West of 4 mile road?

The West of 4 mile road is a difficult hunt and if you don't find a land owner to put you on elk you most likely will not be successful. The east of 4 mile hunt is primarily weather dependent. If we get early snows that bring the elk down there will be elk all over the place and you should have no trouble filling tags. If we don't get the snows then it is a very difficult hunt. When I draw that hunt, I usually don't even put out much effort until the last week........
[signature]
Hi Hooknhunter,

Here is the description of the hunt area.

Hunt Area 32-1 — That portion of Unit 32 east of the
following boundary: Beginning at the Unit 32/38 boundary at
Emmett, then north on Highway 52 to the Van Dussen Road, then
north on Four Mile Road to the Unit 32/32A boundary.

I am not that familiar with that hunt. One person said to hunt Dobson Pass in the nothern part of the unit.

Any advice now that you know which area it is?

Thanks so much.
[signature]
Based on the description you attached, you have the better of the 2 hunts. Dodson Pass is not a bad place to look for elk but if you hunt there you need to realize that only 1 side of road will be open (south). North side of Dodson is 32A and is a different hunt. I've seen people breaking the law there a few times, but I didn't have cell service and wasn't close enough to get plate numbers. Dodson is one of the cross over points when the elk come down. If there is enough snow to push the elk down, then it is a good place to be first thing in the morning.

Like I said, if there is enough snow to push the elk down, you won't have trouble finding them. If there is not enough snow, then it will be a very difficult hunt.
[signature]
Thanks. We hunted this area in October a few years ago and before we got any weather. We took a road right out of Ola and went East toward High Valley. We did not go all the way to High Valley and hunted the timber a little ways up. We did see a couple of cows on the last day (no shot) and I could have kissed a Bull but we had cow tags. Would you suggest this area or stay lower and out of the timber if we get snow?
[signature]
The area you hunted where you were close to the bull is a good place early. I'd go there or dry buck area early. If there is a decent amount of snow you'll see more elk out of the timber. I'm not saying there will BE more, you'll just SEE more.
[signature]
Hey Hooknhunter...do you happen to know a Dave Merritt who has a ranch north of Ola near the creek? Just curious as we can hunt on his land and I am wondering if you know that area. He said we could hunt on the Butte which is West of the creek. His property is between Ola and Dodson Pass on the West side of the creek. What do you think?
[signature]
I know him and his property. I haven't talked to him in at least 10 years. Never hunted elk there but I know they move thru there. I think it is as good as any.
[signature]
Hey Hooknhunter. I am heading up to 32 this Saturday mainly to just look around and meet a rancher. You mentioned in an earlier reply that the Dry Buck area might be a decent place early in the hunt. Can you tell me where that area is?
[signature]
Sluggo, I sent you a message.
[signature]
Sluggo,

keep us updated on your hunt. I'm very curious how this will go. I've hunted that area during archery season with mixed results. Good luck! Looks like you're getting snow today!!!
[signature]
My BIL and some of his kids have that tag also. They got one a week or so ago. Not sure where.
[signature]