Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best Striper lunch ever!
Had to post this one... Been messing with cooking fish on Cedar planks since June when we went to Utah/Strawberry Reservoir and cooked Kokanee Salmon that way at the lake and since then at home until we ran out of what we brought home.

Decided to try it on some Stripers that I caught a week ago this afternoon for lunch and Madi and I both agree the BEST Striper we have ever eaten to date. My new absolute favorite way to cook a Stiped Bass is on a Cedar plank/BBQ. A must for everyone to at least give it a try!

Cedar planks for cooking purposes can be found everywhere. Lowes, Home Depot, Sams, Costco, Amazon, etc. Or one can just break out a big old chunk of a Cedar tree and cut it to size. Whatever.

Anyways I soaked the plank in water for a couple hours this morning as the Stripers dethawed. Once pulled from the water I coated one side of the plank with seasoning, dropped the fillets on/seasoned the other side of the fillets and into the BBQ on high heat (4 burner BBQ). I then cut up some butter into small pieces and put a couple pieces on each fillet to melt. I let it cook almost 30 minutes. The wood was a crackling and smoldering at that point. Once pulled I dripped a little lemon juice on each and into the house to eat right off the plank still smoldering. GOOOOOD!!!

[Image: LakeMead_08-27-15_030%20(PlankStriper).jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_08-27-15_031%20(PlankStriper).jpg]

Tom
[signature]
[cool]That sounds like quite the tasty. I have never tried using the planks. Looks like another option for the striper.
[signature]
BigE I've been using cedar planks now for a few weeks when cooking salmon, mahi mahi and swordfish. They come out great. Just marinate a short time in whatever and then I sprinkle some tony's chachere's cajun on it. Soak those suckers good to avoid catching fire. Bought the planks bulk on Amazon for like 20 bucks. Freaking delicious, yet to try striper but I'll bring a plank or 2 along when I come out.
[signature]
I know Kokanee Salmon are goooood on one!

[Image: Strawberry07-13Jun2015_123.jpg]

Tom
[signature]
Hello Tom,

Thanks for the great post. Your pictures looked so good I had to try. Went out to the lake Sunday from boulder harbor. Hit the morning boils until 8:30 then went and caught some live bait. Went back to the area where I found the top water action and then drifted with bait. Stayed out until 1:30 and thought I would be in trouble at the ramp. Got lucky and pulled right up and out. Ended up with 40 nice fat fish 1-3 lb range. Cleaned them up and hit the store. Then the grill. I agree some of the best fish I have had in a while. can't get picture to upload from phone.

Thanks again,
Dean
Dean,

Awesome! Glad you liked it. 40 fish... Sounds like lots of time at the cleaning station. Last time I did that I swore I would never do it again. lol

Your pictures uploaded.

Tom
[signature]