Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
114 Carp in under two hours
Awesome night at the marina nailed 114 carp, 7 channels, 1 mudcat, dozens of bluegill and crappie it was great!!! Oh they were a little small and were caught during a minnow cast net trip. All game fish were released and the carp are in the freezer in water this time. Let's hope they work as good as fresh ones. Later J
[signature]
How big did the carp minnows average?
[signature]
They are getting a little big, they were about 4" average now, well I got some that were 3" like I like them, but there were a lot of bigger ones that are almost too big, except for really big catfish I hope.... Later J
[signature]
Atta boy! maybe the state should pay you for removing carp...
[signature]
Hey that's a good idea, maybe they could start with reducing the license fee on our boats.... I'm still complaining about a $60 fee to license my pontoon this year... That's a little ridiculous after paying double that for the boat too.... Just my private growl..... Later J
[signature]
What Marina were you in? Actually thought about doing some cast netting(for bait of course) myself down at Utah Lake. For somebody that's never done this before you got any pointers you would like to give up?
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx !
[cool]
[signature]
I was at Benson Marina, in Cache Valley, but I think most boat ramps that have deep enough water will be about the same this time of year... I usually look for the little dimples on the surface of the water to know minnows are in the area... Then it's a matter of lots of casts of the net... I averaged around 5 fish per throw, but had a couple of 20+ fish... there were a bunch of youth there with a ward party that took an interest in what I was doing and before long they were catching and sorting fish for me, I just stood back and watched my bucket fill... If you don't have a casting net and can afford a 1/4" mesh rather than the 3/8" mesh you will catch more small minnows, but for carp it doesn't matter. There are some good videos on utube that will teach you how to throw the net, check those out and then practice a little... Let the net settle to the bottom and then draw it in... Have faith in it you'll catch them, and if you don't try a different spot watching for signs of the fish so you know they are around.. Be careful of underwater snags and hazards they tear up the nets really bad, so do big carp if you happen to get an adult in the net... Also be careful not to put gamefish in with your minnows... There were lots of other fish mixed in with the carp so I had to do lots of sorting to let the good fish go quickly... Usually the minnowing gets better with colder temperatures which bunches up the minnows, they are scattered now and it takes a lot more casting to find a supply... Later on one cast will fill your years supply... Don't know what else to tell you other than have fun!!! Later J
[signature]
I figured you were using a net.
[signature]
Thanx for the reply, a LOT of good info there. Only 2 things left for me to do then
1) purchase a net
2) put in some practice on the water
Thank you so much............
[signature]
Oh Kevin you doubting my ability again? No problem I would too...... Yes sir I was using the casting net, haven't caught a carp on the rod and reel for a couple months and I'm running out of catfish bait.... Going to have to get my bow out and hope to see some surface dwellers.... Hopefully the cats will start chowing on these minnows a little more actively than the last trip... I'm never going to catch up with the Posse' at this rate.... Take'r easy... J
[signature]
Dude, this sounds like a blast! I still have my cast net that I used to use to catch my baitfish in saltwater! Are the Willard marinas any good?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Be sure to check the size of your cast net. Utah restricts maximum size to a 5' radius...10' diameter.

You can sometimes get into the carplets right off the marina launch ramps...if you get there before the boats. But you have to be careful because you can get small gizzard shad as well...and they are illegal to possess...or to use as bait.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It is a lot of fun. Not sure about Willard, but since Shad are controlled so heavily you might have troubles there. I'd think you would have a ton of Shad to pick through and so it might be more work than it was worth. I'd try the Bear River upstream from the refuge. Good luck. J
[signature]
You're welcome. Hey TD put up his minnowing book on the salted string. Check that out for the masters tips it's a great read. Later J
[signature]