Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing carpet in boat Help?
Fished so much I wore out the carpet in my aluminum boat. The floor is riveted down. Rather than drill out all the rivets holding the floor down has any one has success just gluing new carpet over the old stuff? If so what kind of adhesive did you use? What did you do around the live-well lid and storage compartment lids? Do you know anyone that does a good job replacing carpet? [I live in UT county]
Thanks
[signature]
Pull out the old and replace with hydro turf. You'll never get good results going over old carpet.
[signature]
FNA is right, you need to remove the old before putting down the new. You can get the adhesive from Cabela's or any carpet store, Home Depot.
[signature]
Must tear out old first, for any adhesion at all. Rip, scrape, yank, chisel. I use a spray can contact cement, I get it at Keyston Brothers, 3900S 500 W. Lay it in, roll half back, spray both the substrate and the back of the carpeting, let set for 5 min or so, then slowly work it together. repeat on other half.
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback.
I was hoping for an easy button fix. She's a good boat and deserves it done right.
[signature]
I redid my Skeeter 1850 a couple of years ago. First, don't buy your adhesive from Home Despot unless it specifically states it is for Marine applications. I purchased both my carpet and adhesive at Carpet Barn in SLC. They have the rubber backed marine carpet and marine adhesive that you need.

Be sure to sand the old adhesive off after you strip the carpet. I learned the hard way and have had several spots I have had to redo. Don't be stingy with the adhesive either, get a good coat down. A small roller is also helpful to get the carpet down and smooth.

If you have a wooden deck, you may want to think about using fiberglass resin on it to waterproof it.

Have fun, it is a job, but worth the effort.
Thanks for the tips. I only want to do it once and have it turn out and last.
[signature]