Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Sick Trout in Utah
I was at Echo Reservoir near Coalville Utah last night. I walked down to the shore line and shined my flashlight in the water where I noticed a MASS amount of trout swimming right near the shore line. Not fry but big trout. I went and grabbed my net and scooped up a few and noticed they were COVERED with sores, cysts and slime. Some fish were so badly infested with whatever this is its lower jaw bone had been eaten away as well as its Tongue it had quarter sized lesions with what looked like tiny things squirmming about in them. I kept this fish in a bucket to take to The college ext. office to see exactly what is happening in the water there. I talked to two local gentlemen who said they had lost 2 dogs to some parasite last year they said the dogs frequented Echo and went swimming most every day here during the summer. I also noticed several dead birds around the edge of the water does anyone have an idea what could affect fish and birds and dogs?
[signature]
Trout here in Ut have an issue with this every year, were these by chance rainbow trout? There is a fungus that effects some but not all trout but it usually happens in waters where the water temps get higher than what trout prefer. The parasite is called an anchor worm that effects all rainbow trout is that drainage. The anchor worm live in the skin of the fish during the spring and summer, then in the fall, when the water temps drop, they come out of the fish and make their way to the bottom of the lake, where they spend the winter, then when the water warms again in the spring, then come out of the mud and again go into the flesh of the trout. Not sure about the fungus but the biologist claim the fish with the anchor worm are still good to eat. Hope this helps.
WH2
[signature]
Dat user name doe.....

Honey badger don't give a €£¥%
[signature]