Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait Tanks
Got some people asking about bait tanks and pumps. Some have this subject figured out while others are ending up with dead bait.

One of our club members has come up with a great pump solution. Some boats have a pump hanging over the side, then have to pull it up to motor to a new location.

By mounting a live well pump in the aft section of the boat and cutting the intake at a 45 degree angle most problems are solved. Next is building a practical and SAFE bait tank. Do not let the drain hose go below the lake surface. This will create a dead head or even a siphon effect. Your tank will over flow and you can flood or sink a boat. (did that a few months ago).See the attached pictures.

Post your questions or pictures of your bait tank.
[signature]
[inline 20150212_171446.jpeg]
[signature]
[inline 20150212_171455.jpeg]
[signature]
[inline 20150212_171506.jpeg]
[signature]
[inline Screenshot_2015-09-22-03-18-04.png]

On thing you may not see from the pictures is extra drain holes. There are 3/8" holes around the neck of the drain body. If dead Shad get stuck on the drain face grid, the tank will still drain and not overflow.
[signature]

The horizontal pipe has small holes for aeration and the vertical pipe has three 3/8" holes for fill. There is a cap at the bottom of the vertical pipe.

[inline 20150212_171514.jpeg]
[signature]
We were coming back in from a day of fishing, so I was going to dump the bait tank. I disconnected the pump from the battery, then opened the drain valve. We started to motor back to the Harbor at about 20 mph.

I drained the tank about half way, close the drain valve and sit down to enjoy the ride back. Soon I see water coming out the over flow drain hose.

How can this be? There's no power to the bait pump.The pickup/iintake pipe that was cut on an angel was scooping up water.

From the back of the boat to the bait tank is 15 feet of garden hose. It was almost as if I had the pump on again.

[inline 20150804_171831.jpeg]
[signature]
[inline 20150804_171845.jpeg]
[signature]
[inline 20141206_073456.jpg]
[signature]
Great info, thank you Toby. Do you have any pics of the water intake in the side or rear of the boat?
[signature]
The red pump.
[signature]
Just made a 16 gallon tank today. Just need the drain and hinge for the lid. Also pump and hoses. UPS delivery soon.
[signature]
Thank you. Did you drill that hole to install the pump?

I have a manufactured bait tank, but as of now it just sits on top of my deck with the intake and discharge dangling off the side. I'm thinking about counter sinking it into the deck, but I'm concerned about how to do the water intake. I'm not going to put a hole in my aluminum below the water line. I'm considering a hole in the hull above the water line with a 90 and an extension to get down into the water.
[signature]
Pics soon...smart phone is having issues.
[signature]
Clamp a bracket with a channel or uni-strut. Mount to that.

I will be on the lake tomorrow 7am until 1pm. Come see me and look around and ask questions. Snoop around look at my setup and tackle rigs.

Sharing and caring in Southern Nevada.
[signature]
I'm trying to make it out tomorrow. I'll be sure to say hello if I do. Thank you.
[signature]
We will fly the jolly Roger fish or a BFT flag.
[signature]
Well done iamthesmf! Great tips and advice!
[signature]