Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line question
I picked up a saltwater outfit this year. I figured I have 20 years of traveling to the Oakland area still to go so why not..... I am wondering what line I should put on it. I will be using it for pier fishing mainly. Not sure if I should go with fluorocarbon or mono. I was thinking 20 lb as well. But since saltwater is relatively new to me I will take and heed all suggestions.
[signature]
Hey Albinotrout,

First of all, flouor carbon line is designed for leader material. My recommendation would be to purchase 2 weights of line in 25 yard spools. Get 15lb and 30lb. So you can be versatile in the fish you are chasing. 20lb manipulators on your reel is a great choice due to the fact that it can catch fish from 2lb to 80lb. Most important, being that you are traveling and not near a tackle store at all times, it is wise to purchase the strongest long lasting line available. Mono comes in colors, I would recommend green since you are pier fishing and most water around piers is green. I recommend Ande Line or P-line moss green.

Good Luck and Tight Lines.
[signature]
Thanks for the response. I will look into the 20 lb mono.
[signature]
P-Line would be my choice in 20lb. Bobby's right on with that.
[signature]
I'm not too familiar with the P-line brand. I usually use trilene. Looking at some p-line I found some marked copolymer. Never heard of this material before.
[signature]
oops..lost my reply in spell check...sorry for the blank post earlier.

I dont know anything about copolymer line but I have heard thru the grapevine that the diameter is thin and its not very strong. I believe that they are talking about a coating that is on the line. Any coating applied to mono always is subject to getting brittle thru age and heat. I stay away from it. Fluoro carbon coated is famous for this. That is why I use straight flouro carbon line. More money but worth it for my leader material. Regarding regular mono you can always count on trilene big game, ande, and izorline. All of these are affordable and get bit. P-line is a bit pricey and hard to find at times.
[signature]
I usually use the trilene XL. I will take a look at the big game.
[signature]
Triline xl was desinged for fresh water thats why you dont see any 25 30 through 80 lb. Its also desinged for spinning reels as the line has natural memory to go on spinning. its not advertised that way just being in tackle biz for so many yrs learned some of that my self then after inquioring with berkly its true. you will also not find it in much more than a 150 or 300 yd spool is rare thats another indictator its made for smaller reels. lg sporting goods stores will carry it to handle both they just dont know any better regarding biggame fishing.
[signature]
Good info to know, thanks!
[signature]