Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage? MEPPS Killer Kit
My father passed away a few years ago and I'm just now going through his stuff... He has one huge tackle box with a lot of vintage lures (wooden) and whatnot. Included in this box is a Mepps Killer Kit of lures (I ASSUME they're fly fishing lures because of the feathers and fur) including a Mepps Lightnin 2 with yellow shiny sticker label, Mepps black fury 3 in yellow, Mepps black fury 3 in red, gold Mepps agila 3, Mepps aglia 2 in copper, Mepps aglia 0 in silver, and a Mepps 3 that has a red and white emblem. Can anyone inform me on how old this set may be?
[signature]
Nice looking kit. However these are not flies. They are spinners. They can be used for most fish species. Best way to fish them for me at least is to tie a small swivel on your line and the attach the spinner. I would use an ultra light, light, or med light spinning rod and reel. 6-8 lb test line would be fine depending upon the rod used.
[signature]
This set of mepps spinners has been sold for many years, I have one myself. I have seen them sold in stores still to this day. So in general it is current, but that particular set of your dads may be 20 years old. Hope this helps. The wooden plugs may be collectible if in really good condition.
[signature]
Thank you for the insight, it helped a lot.
[signature]
Nice spinning lures, however used on a fly rod then would sink like a rock. Maybe one could catch a fish using it with a rod, but I would be afraid to set the hook as it might break one's rod.
[signature]