Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hemenway revisited
[cool]Went to Hemenway Point again on friday to try for another striper. Tossed the swimbait for about three and a half hours for nada. Saw a guy on shore catch two stripers between 5 and 7lbs. Finally went into the cove next to the point and began hooking up trout. I was using one of the pistol petes that I had tied up. They wouldn't leave it alone. Caught three, hooked seven, and got numerous hits. All fish released. It was a good day in the tube.
[signature]
Thanks for the update on Hemenway. I may have to try Hemenway again, the last time was about 12 or so years ago. Seems to me that from shore you'll have to cast about a mile and a half and still only be in about 4' of water. If memory serves me right it's awful shallow around the point.
[signature]
[cool]If you cast from the middle of the point you can get in water that is at least 10' deep. The stripers did seem to be closer to shore than my last visit; about 50 yards out. I think persistance is the key. The guy who got the two stripers was casting for about 2.5 to 3 hours! He would take a break once in awhile,but he kept at it.
[signature]
Well BigE it sure sounds like you did better than Southernman and I this past weekend. I will have to try that area real soon.
[signature]
Hey BigE,

The only luck I ever had with a float tube was at Hemingway a few years back. I landed several stripers and generally had a good time, however, a guy told me that float tubes and/or boats was not permitted there, though wading was ok. I checked it out and it was true, so I never brought my tube out there again. Like I said, this was several years ago, and the dock was still located there, so things might be different now, but I thought I should let you know. I've got to register my boat tomarrow, so I'm gonna ask them about the regs while I'm there. I'll let you know what I find out. It'd be nice to be able to float tube there as I can carry all my gear in my truck and hit it after work, which isn't feasible with the boat.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[cool]Hey Telbone, this past friday there was a game warden out at the point checking everybody for licenses. He saw me out in the tube, but never waved me in or even questioned me. I have been to hemenway three times so far and the warden has been out there 2 out of 3 times. I amagine if it was illegal he would have called me in. According to the people at the entrance station you can launch a tube just about anywhere. I'll post if I'm going again. Maybe we could hook up. And yes , it easy to tote a tube and jam after work. It has done me good.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Nighthawk, the point seems to be giving up the fish and its a nice place to floattube also.
[signature]
Hey BigE,

I'm really glad I can go there again. Maybe it was due to the dock being there and now it's ok that they moved it. I know I've been discussing boats 'cause I just bought one, but I absolutely love my float tube. The only times I'll be hauling the boat with me when I go camping is when the family goes with me. And I'll still probably bring my tube. Nothing beats the stealth of a float tube. Last year on Comins I had a trout bump into my leg that had to have been 10 - 12 lbs. He didn't even get spooked until he saw me turn in the tube. Man would I have liked to seen him before he nudged me Smile. That being said, I want to get serious about striper fishing and to do that I believe I needed a boat and the necessary equipment. Mead is just too small to effectively cover with a float tube. You are more than welcome to go fishing with me any time as long as you don't mind me whipping big flies around your ears. I'm a bartender though, so I have Sun - Tues off. I've always enjoyed those days off, 'cause I can beat the crowds, but it never fails that anyone who wants to go fishing with me is off the normal Sat and Sun.

Once the ice comes off of Kolob and/or Comins I can take you up there if you like. I know both of those lakes well and I'm used to catching nice trout in both. Comins yielded a 7lber to me a couple of seasons ago, my personal best as far as trout are concerned. I've caught many just below that as well, especially at Comins Lake. It's a shame someone put pike in there, as it's days are numbered now. It's a harder lake to fish, really weedy, so I find I go to Kolob more often. Also Comins is seriously windy most of the time. You have to catch it very early and very late in the day as it's somewhat calm then. Once in a great while, I'm lucky enough to be there when there's very little wind throughout the day and those days are nice. You don't have to fly fish either... sometimes my friends son tags along when we go fishing and he's intimidated by the fly rod, so we've developed ways for him to fish those lakes with an ultralight spinning rod. Sometimes he catches more than us.

I'm really liking this board, and I'm looking forward to fishing with some of you gents.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the invite Telbone. I may take you up on that when the weather gets warmer at Comins. I have done choronimid { midge} fishing at Crowley lake in California. That is one of the best ways to nail the trout there. I have tied up almost every midge pattern to fool them. The black/red zebra pattern has been my standby, though others have worked. Its nice to know that a lake here has almost the same pattern. Thanks for the info.
[signature]