Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fall bug chasing/matching
I've just returned home from my fall swing through Idaho and Montana. It's always a "can't lose" trip, but this year the lack of cloud cover and cooler temperatures made it tougher. It felt like summer most of the time, only the summer hatches have long been over, and the seasonal baetis and mahogany hatches were sparse at best, most days. I did enjoy a few epic, cloudy-day, blanket hatches with the river boiling on the MO, and Henry's Fork on the Ranch had pretty good daily hatches despite the bright light. However, I will remember the trip as the Sept./Oct. that really never came. For a fair-weather like me to even hint at not liking sunny and 75 every day seems very strange, but this time of year, it will always be cloudy and 50 that I dream of. Its kinda happening now, but I did have to get home for a few! Poor timing, but then again, its never poor timing to fish some of the best dry fly waters in the Rockies. Fish were caught nearly every day, and it sure was comfortable.

Kinda neat fishing with a little black bear cub for two days too. Never did see mom (good thing for me). Pretty sure it was an orphan, though never saw it again for several days after.

I have "home" waters that are on now. This is it, the last hurrah for really good hatches and big rising fish until early spring. Get out there, get on it, and enjoy every day before its nothing but midges and nymphs. Every water in western Wyoming and northern Utah is fishing well right now!

Fish pictures are, well, more fish pictures. Maybe some more flies are in order this time, with a few "KeepEmWet" shots, and a shot of my furry fishing buddy. The blog is loaded for you scrolling types.

These same flies work great in the spring too, when the baetis return en masse, so tie 'em up if you don't have any.
[signature]
Great pics Jim! Thanks.
[signature]
Looks like you had another great trip. I love your flies, thanks for sharing them!
[signature]
Looks like a great time was had, even if it wasn't quite what you were looking for!

Nice work,
[signature]