Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine Res.
Hello everyone. A buddy and I took the new boat up to porcupine for a day. We got skunked! I caught a little bow with a rapala, that's it!? What's the "trick" up there? It's beautiful scenery, just wish I could get a bent rod up there! Any input is appreciated.
[signature]
late july the fish were all down i thing about 40 ft. but the res was not that low.
[signature]
Marshmallow and worm rite whre ur standin
[signature]
Fish at night
Porcupine Reservoir is known for big brown trout and kokanee salmon, and during our most recent gillnet survey, it did not disappoint. Located just 30 minutes from Logan, this water is easily accessible for residents of Cache Valley and provides trophy opportunities for brown trout and quality kokanee salmon fishing. Results from this most recent netting survey showed excellent numbers and size of wild brown trout, with many fish exceeding 25 inches. The largest brown trout of the day was a beautiful 30-inch brown. Anglers looking to target brown trout will do best using artificial lures that mimic fish, which are a large part of their diet. Brown trout also are more active in shallow water at night and in the early morning, so shore anglers will do best targeting these fish during these times. Size and condition of kokanee salmon also appears to be improving, with fish averaging 14 inches in length and weighing a about 1 pound each. Much of this improvement in size is due to the recent exit of a few massive year classes of kokanee in 2012 and 2013, leaving the present classes of fish more room and resources to grow.
[signature]
I think thats a koke not a rainbow.
[signature]
I bought an umbrella rig that I think might be just the ticket for Porcupine. No trees there to catch it on.
[signature]
Whoa hey that is a koke but not the one they were talking about. I caught that one last summer. Not fair when somebody else posts your picture. Feels like somebody's watching you. Later J
[signature]
My question is how was it getting the boat on the water? When the water gets down that low it can be a real muddy muck stick your vehicle fest and I tend to shy away. We usually use down riggers and/or leaded line with snubbers. Any Kokanee lure seems to work, we're partial to needle fish up there. We'll drag a Rapala around for the Brown's and we've seen some large Rainbows on occasion also. Much of the luck there is finding them. We were cross country skiing up there one time and watched a family pulling Kokanee out of their ice fishing holes like popcorn once they found them.
Enjoy.
[signature]
that was this summers trip wasn't it.
[signature]
It was summer of 2015. I called last summer though. Later J
[signature]
That might have been me. I recall having some CC skiers stop by to chat and observe once when we were into them pretty heavy. I remember feeling bad that we weren't too good for conversation because we were so focused on catching fish, haha! I go up there a lot and that kind of action only happens about 1 out of 10 trips it seems. But when they move in, you gotta make sure you capitalize, because you never know how long they will stay under you before they leave.
[signature]
That's it, I'm following you next time.
[signature]