Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 10-29
Only Truck and trailer in the parking lot all day that I saw. Kept 3 Trout and 6 Smallies. Caught 4 smallmouth over 12 but didn't keep any over 12. Weather was not bad, no wind just some rain. Left at 3:00PM when the rains really came.
[signature]
Good to hear the SM are doing so good, sounds like you are helping out the fishery by thinning out those pesky smaller fish, so the bigger ones can grow, thanks. The way they are talking, colder weather is coming next week, we might be done with our warm Fall. What time did you get on the water?
[signature]
Arrived at 9:30 and left at 2:30 when I could see real rain coming in. Didn't see ONE boat anywhere on the lake for that amount of time is unbelievable. Smallies were on soft plastic dark colored shad on a 3/8 oz jig. Trout were caught trolling flies.
[signature]
It has been a lot of years since I last trolled flies from a boat, if you don't mind me asking, what were the flies you were using and how slow were you going?
[signature]
I was there the other day and trolled green woolly buggers with a split shot 3 feet above the fly. About 2.1 mph kept them just below the surface and the bows hit them relentlessly...I actually ran out of buggers about the time we got our limit. I didn't have much luck with the downriggers as the fish were right up top.

Good luck. Hope to be back there tomorrow.
[signature]
Triple renegade and black woolly buggers with two large spit shot 4 ft up. 2mph seemed to be the speed.
[signature]
Wow, thats faster than I thought a fly could be trolled, for some reason I was thinking the speed would be around .5 to 1 mph.
[signature]
Do you always troll flies that fast, can they be caught trolling at a slower speed? Did you ever get back up there?
[signature]
Trolled 1.2 to 1.6 Sunday the 1st and it seemed to work fine. Water I think I recall was 54 deg surface.
And there were a couple water skiers
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just as with wipers and walleyes, the trout will hit flies trolled at different speeds on different days...or even on the same day. But once you find what works best...why change?

A lot of us tubers and tooners drag flies around slowly...at fin-kicking speed. Others troll with an electric motor at anything from all ahead dead slow to top speed on the electric. I do well on Jordanelle with a partially filled bubble and fly rig...or with a jig and fly combo...with the jig providing the weight to get the fly to the desired depth. You just regulate the length of line and the speed to keep the fly at the right depth.

When the trout move back toward the top and are aggressively feeding up before winter they tend to hit faster moving stuff. But during the heat of summer you gotta get down deep and move slow.

By the way, in the spirit of Halloween, black and orange combos work good on many lakes in the late fall. See pics...one from Jordanelle and one from Huntington (Mammoth)
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sorry for the delay getting back to you all...My hunting dog needed surgery just FIVE days before the pheasant opener.

As for trolling of the woolly buggers, I have always gone as fast as they would follow. As was mentioned, some days they want to go .75 mph, on other days they seem to take the speed challenge very seriously. It may sound like cheating, but I seem to hook them better when I am at the faster speeds. That last trip would have caught bows from 0 to 5 mph.
[signature]
If you do go to the end of the long arm at Jordanelle, be real careful with all the submerged tree and brush structure...I lost several woollies in there and they were tough to un-stick...but the risk is worth the reward
[signature]
Ditto. My dad and I fished the Rock Cliff arm through the morning of the 1st. Just outside the buoys we did well trolling Pistol Petes (prop buggers) in a variety of colors. We had numerous doubles and one triple.
[signature]