Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pier/surf fishing in southern Cali
Ok my wife has let it be known that I am to take her to Harry Potter land for our 20th anniversary. However it is in February and I am thinking if I am going all that way I should see about writing a line. How is the fishing at the end of February beginning of March usually?
[signature]
The February/March time is the tail end of the Rockfish restrictions however the restrictions only apply to boat anglers. Piers and shore anglers have free game on any species.

Pier fishing requires no license while shore and boat fishing does require a license.

Regardless of where you fish, limits are still enforced.
[signature]
Probably be somewhere around long beach or similar. Still a ways off so I am in early stages of planning.
[signature]
ohhhh Long Beach is nice. I have a few Tube launching spots in the area that are good for Halibut and Surf Perch.

Cherry Beach is one of the spots. There are only small waves and you are protected from the current dragging your out to the open ocean since it is in a big harbor. [cool]
[signature]
Another choice is Huntington. I think that is in the Anaheim area? I could always drive further south toward San Diego somewhere. So many choices....
[signature]
Huntington has some good surf fishing and pier fishing when it is not crowded. The surf get a little rough around that time of year but that is why they do the surf competitions close to that time.

Did you mention Fresno as your place of stay when you come? San Diego is about 6 hours drive (on a Sat or Sun) and 12 or 13 during the week. lol

If you wanted to bring your tube out for a salty launch, I would choose Stearns Wharf in Santa Barbara. You could make that in about 3 hours from Fresno.

The El Nino condition should have us some early spawn on Leopard Sharks at Stearns Wharf. Crabs will almost be out of the question due to warmer water now. We might even be lucky enough to get a Hammerhead or a nice Lemon Shark.

I had a nice Lemon Shark with the last El Nino. They are never this far north but I did land an 8 footer and had it witnessed by hundreds of people that thought I was being attacked by it. They are docile but love big chunks of Mackerel. [cool]
[signature]
No not Fresno. Lol. Probably stay closer to Anaheim or Buena Park. Could be somewhere else as well. I also have rail passes so travel south toward San Diego may be easier than one may think.[Wink]
[signature]
ahhhh ok. I think Long Beach would be a nicer place to go. One of the former UT guys, Jed Burton has moved out here to Cali. He and I go to Long Beach once in awhile.

If we can join up for a fishing trip, I may even be able to show you guys the Big Fish Tackle store in Seal Beach. It is only a hop, skip and a jump from Long Beach. They have some awesome live bait there as well as other cool things.[cool]
[signature]
Long beach sounds good. When the time time gets closer I will let you know.
[signature]
Sounds good bro. What type of gear are you bringing out Spinning, baitcast, Flyswatter, Spey Rod??

I can fix us up some goodies for fishing the surf or from the tube.
[signature]
Right now it would be spinning. Haven't dropped the cash for the baitcaster yet. Waiting to see what Black Friday and cyber Monday brings.
[signature]
hhmmmmm. ok. Just remember the right combination.

Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Cabelas Cataloge, BPS Cataloge, highlighter, Victorias Secret Catalog, another highlighter, Michael Korrs catalog with a bigger highlighter. [laugh]
[signature]
Never heard of the Michael Korrs catalog.

I just about got the BPS catalog all marked up.[sly]
[signature]
I never heard of Michael Korrs until Black Friday of last year.

He is kind of like a Kardashian. Famous for being famous about nothing. lol
[signature]
Lol
[signature]
[cool] I used to fish Bolsa Chica State Beach alot. Nice action on surf perch with the light line and got batrays and nice leopard sharks on the long pole with heavy line. Read the fishing reports on Western Outdoors News wedsite under the surf fishing blog to see whats biting.
[signature]
Hey BigE. That whole stretch is good from there to Seal Beach. It is conveniently located just below the BigFishTackle store. They have some incredible live bait there too for the Barred Surf Perch and many other species that one can target in the area.[cool]
[signature]
[quote tubeN2]Hey BigE. That whole stretch is good from there to Seal Beach. It is conveniently located just below the BigFishTackle store. They have some incredible live bait there too for the Barred Surf Perch and many other species that one can target in the area.[cool][/quote]

Next time I am down that way I will have to plan a visit to the shop.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah,I used to stop there all the time for blood worms and ghost shrimp. I still surf fish that area once in awhile when I'm down visiting family. Mom always likes fresh fish.
[signature]
[quote BigE][cool] I used to fish Bolsa Chica State Beach alot. Nice action on surf perch with the light line and got batrays and nice leopard sharks on the long pole with heavy line. Read the fishing reports on Western Outdoors News wedsite under the surf fishing blog to see whats biting.[/quote]

Thanks BigE
[signature]