Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Bonefish - April 2016
This request goes out to REMO_5_0 but open to all. For those of you who have fished bonefish know the feeling. Absolutely unforgettable. I had an opportunity to catch a few in Cancun last May and the experience brought this bass guy back to fly fishing. So much so I bought an #8, #4, and revamped my #7 with new line.

I am heading to Hawaii for Spring Break in April (sssshhhhhh, don't tell my daughters. It's going to be a Christmas surprise). From what I have read the bonefishing off Waikiki Beach is pretty good. Been reading a few DoItYourself Hawaii Bonefishing websites and though tough, I have another great opportunity to catch these stunning fish. I will be staying on the beach on the north end of Waikiki beach so the flats are right there and will have many hours of down time in between our family activities to double haul some line.

Wondering if anyone has done this, or know of someone who has. The "experts" say bonefish in Hawaii are some of the toughest to catch. Others say while the big fish are difficult to fool the smaller 3-5 pounders are much easier to catch. Some say the guides are worth the money but tend to spend a lot of time looking for 10+ pound fish letting the smaller schools cruise on by. I want to site fish, not float around and see the sites.

The main reason for the trip is to enjoy my family but if the tides and timing are right I am heading to the nearest flats.

HM
[signature]
Way jealous! Have never fished them in Hawaii so I am of no help, all I know is that they are BIG!!! I have heard you can DIY though, just keep reading on the net. Good luck though!
[signature]
Wish I could be of help. I have a coworker from Hawaii but I probably won't see him until Thursday night at the earliest.
[signature]
Well, I'm not heading out until April so waiting until a Thursday in January is fine with me. Lots of time to set way too high of expectations. Whatever information I can get will be great. Still thinking of going the route of a guide for a 1/2 day so we'll see.

My guide in Cancun warned me that once I fished for bones I would do whatever I could to do it again...and again...and again. He was 100% correct. Maybe going on a fly tying materials spree here soon and start loading up the fly boxes.

My sister is heading to the Dry Tortugas 70 miles west of Key West for a winter adventure mid January and is bringing her fly tackle arsenal...2 #8's and a #9. I'll be giving her a box of flies to test, although the Gulf of Mexico is NOT Hawaii. Mostly so I can practice my patterns and perfect them for me in April.

I'll resurrect this question again in March to glean more information from the BFT tribe.

HM
[signature]
Have you posted this question on the Hawaii board? I posted one and actually got a response from one of the guides there.
[signature]
This is the recommendation from my friend.

I used to dunk for bonefish or o'io in Waikiki using bread. My favorite spot was right in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

There is a reef in front Hawaiian Hilton village. You can fly fish off the reef in front of the Hale Koa Hotel.

Try early morning or late evening. Less people.

Use at least 10 lb test line.
[signature]
Thanks you all for the responses. I will check out the Hawaii board as well.

I sure wish it was mid March and not mid November right now. Time does fly by and it will be April before we know it.

Thanks again

HM
[signature]
I am trying to plan a trip to Eleuthera, Bahamas in January for some Bones' hope it works out.
[signature]
I hope the info from my friend helps.
[signature]
Hey Hockeyman. I love the Bonefish bite in Hawaii. They put up a good fight on a flyswatter.

Some of my favorite patterns are the Crystal Charlie #4, Tarantula Crab #4, Olive Flats Deep Minnow #4 and even the #2 Gummy Minnow.

It is important to have a few different colors of each pattern. Focus around the Greys, light browns and Orange. These resemble the local crab and shrimp patterns when they are in normal and moulting stages.

Just in case the salty gods are not in your favor, you will be close to one of my other favorite fishing lakes. Lake Wilson is on the same Island. You can take some Clousers and Olive Wooley Buggers for some fun with Peacock Bass. The Orange Crystal Charlie is almost a sure bite too.

You can get the Peacocks on a 5wt flyswatter. Sometimes they are deeper so a sinking tip leader on some boomer line will get you out in the zone.
[signature]
I would hit the shallow flats between Kailua and laie on the back side of the island you can wade and cover lots of ground. It's where a lot of the locals go to fish.
That being said, april is the tail end of big surf on Oahu. So beware of big waves that can come up . They can be very hazardous.
[signature]