Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oahu Bonefish in April
The wife and I have planned a Spring Break Oahu tip in April (ssshhh, don't tell my daughters. It's going to be a Christmas surprise). From what I have read the bonefishing off Waikiki Beach is pretty good. Been reading a few DoItYourself Hawaii Bonefishing websites and can't wait to give it a try. I will be staying on the north end of Waikiki beach so the flats are right there out the back doors of the hotel, and I will have many hours of down time in between family activities to double haul some line.

I want to try some DIY first but am not opposed to a guide. Bringing an 8 wt rod with 12lb-17lb leaders/tippets and a variety of shrimp, crab, and minnow patters.

So I guess my main question is what patterns do you all use, colors, sizes, names of patterns? My plan is to tie up a few patterns each weekend to build up the fly boxes.

The main reason for the trip is to enjoy my family and be a tourist, but if the tides and timing are right I am heading to the nearest flats.

HM
[signature]
Hey Hockeyman. I love the Bonefish bite in Hawaii. They put up a good fight on a flyswatter.

Some of my favorite patterns are the Crystal Charlie #4, Tarantula Crab #4, Olive Flats Deep Minnow #4 and even the #2 Gummy Minnow.

It is important to have a few different colors of each pattern. Focus around the Greys, light browns and Orange. These resemble the local crab and shrimp patterns when they are in normal and moulting stages.

Just in case the salty gods are not in your favor, you will be close to one of my other favorite fishing lakes. Lake Wilson is on the same Island. You can take some Clousers and Olive Wooley Buggers for some fun with Peacock Bass. The Orange Crystal Charlie is almost a sure bite too.

You can get the Peacocks on a 5wt flyswatter. Sometimes they are deeper so a sinking tip leader on some boomer line will get you out in the zone.
[signature]
Alright, only a week away. Have crazy Charlie's in sizes #4 and #6 in colors from Orange, tan, Olive, Brown, and Crystal. Some have legs, some don't. Others have flash, some don't. Have others that resemble mantis shrimp. The only flies I need are a few more minnow patterns...bunny strip type things and clouser bugs. Even if off I catch nothing, wow, what an experience. It would be fun to catch at least one. Any last minute tips are welcome. Can't wait!

HM
[signature]
I was able to hook up a few times in Oahu on Waikiki Beach. Caught bonefish and needle fish. Hooked up a couple of mystery fish, never saw them and did not fight like a bone or needle so who knows. Best guess, trigger fish.

Only fished Waikiki and never really had the time to venture to others areas but saw some great looking spots along the highway driving towards North Shore. Was very fortunate to catch three bones in a two hour span.

Flies Used:
- Tan/brown crazy charlie variant (my own twist)
- Spam-n-Eggs
- Chart/Wht Clouser
- Orange crazy charlie (traditional)

Off to Cancun in 9 days and this time work is paying for the trip. When I return to Hawaii the fly stick will definitely come along.

HM
[signature]