Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Successful High Country Whitetail
I really like upland hunting so I have been spending my hunting time chasing grouse. My son on the other hand likes the big game hunting but has been busy with school and cross country season. After the cross country season was over and before wrestling started we had a small window of time to get out.

When we got to our unit we noticed an unusual amount of road hunters so I wasn't expecting much. My son having just completed cross country was more ambitious than myself. He pointed to the biggest mountain in the area and said, "they will be up there." Turns out he was right. He was about 100 yrds ahead of me not even breathing hard and I was feeling like puking when a buck and doe were spotted near the top of the ridge we were hiking up. We got down and he rested across his backpack for the shot. He said, "I want the buck." I said, "go for it" since I couldn't slow my heart down anyway. The crosshairs were jumping all over the deer as I waited for him to shoot. His 200 yrd. shot hit the mark and his buck didn't even take a step. At that point another 4 point buck jumped up and started trotting away. By that time my heart had slowed down a bit and I was able to make a smooth shot at around 350 yrds. The buck stepped right into the shot and I made an impressive heart shot. My son was impressed anyway. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Then the fun began getting two bucks back to the truck in the roughest country I have ever seen whitetails in.

I'm sure we will both remember this hunt forever.
Windriver

[inline "Whitetail Pic #2.JPG"][inline "Whitetail Pic #1.JPG"]
[signature]
Very cool. What a great memory. Congratulations.
[signature]
very nice!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Sounds and looks like a great hunt for father & son, at least the drag was down hill. I like hunting the whitetail but I've never killed one in that type of terrain, elk & mulies but not whitetail. Congrats, that should be some fine eating.
[signature]
Congrats on a fine hunt with your son.
[signature]
Very nice! Congratulations! I see snow on the peaks behind you- how far north were you, if I may ask?
[signature]
Thanks everyone. Now it's on to ice fishing.
Windriver
[signature]
Great job!! I have always wanted to get into the White tails.
[signature]
Nice job. Sounds like a worthwhile hunt!
[signature]
+1
[quote hooknhunter]Very cool. What a great memory. Congratulations.[/quote]
[signature]