Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howard Dickey lures?
I read an interesting article in Field & Stream magazine.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/f...-bass-bait
At first I thought I was looking at one of TubeDude's lures but then I read that they were made by Howard Dickey a retire farmer from Missouri. After reading the article, I thought they might work on other fish as well, even thought they were designed for bass. What do you guess think, would they work for other fish, maybe lake trout[:/]?
WH2
[signature]
SWEET!

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Interesting and creative. I bet they would work for a lot of different species especially predatory species like tiger muskie, northern pike, brown trout, and lake trout.
[signature]
bet by next spring we will be looking at a TD one,[Wink]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
[#0000FF]Many of the jigs I make have the shortened tail...to allow for the addition of "sweetener". I call them "bait bugs". But since we cain't use no live offerin's I ain't likely to be fabbin' up no copycat stuff like that there.

It is clever though. I can see how having a live minnow flopping around in anguish on your jig might just trigger the predatory instincts in several Utah species.

Lemme know when we can use live minnows and corn and I'll go to work on something. Until then I'll keep all my Utah clocks set back about 50 years.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I ended up making some to try at Mantua. The pictures tell a lot more than I can type. But I need to add lead to them for Macs to get them deeper.
[signature]
From the way the article reads, he molded the weight right on the hook but I was wondering how he got the hook into the Alligator clip. Did you put the tip of the hook threw that hole where the eyelet come out of the clip? If so and that is the way he did it as well, that means he added the weight on after he got the hook in place. Did you just make yours today? Even though Dickey used live bait, I bet they would still work with dead minnows because in deeper water the flutter from the skirt would be all it would take to catch the attention of those bigger fish and I ready doubt a big Cutt or Mack or even a Northern would care if it is alive or dead. He also said he used live worms with good results for bass, so that might be a great setup at Mantua. Anyway, nice work on the ones you made, add a few more colors to the mix and you just might have something there. Thanks for sharing the pics.
[signature]
They worked great this last summer. I used a banjo minnow soaked in gulp alive. Kept me busy in my kayak. I fed the hook through and filled the cylinder with solder to help with weight.
[signature]
Nice bass, looks like these lures work pretty good. This article is over a year old, did you see it when it first came out?
[signature]
Yeah I did. There was a post when it came out. Cut bait would work a lot better.
[signature]