Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transporting live fish
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]
[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font][font "Calibri"]Need help from any of you that have transported live fish successfully. I want to transport 5-10 pound gamefish home after I catch them. The trip may last 10-12 hour by the time I get the fish home. The purpose of the exercise is to keep the fish alive in order to insure maximum freshness… same reason many of the upscale seafood restaurants buy live fish, shrimp and lobster.[/font][font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]My aunt grew up in south Louisiana (Cajun Country). One of her cook books said, in the Fish and Seafood Section, 1[size 2]st[/size] sentence, if fish smells fishy before you cook it – throw it out because it’s not fit to eat. Fresh fish should never smell fishy, much less taste fishy.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]Of course you can fry fishy smelling fish if you use enough spices (garlic, pepper, soy sauce, corn meal or flour) to mask the fishy taste.[/font]
[font "Calibri"]The Asians say keep it alive and kill it minutes before you prepare it, fresher taste better.[/font]
[signature]
Hi Matthew and welcome to Bigfishtackle.

In the culinary world, which I have a degree in, fresh means 1: never frozen and 2:freshly picked or caught.

Transporting live fish may require a permit in some areas as well as a large vehicle. I assume you have checked into the legalities and have a large truck so I will cut to the important matter of business.

It is important to consider the quantity of the fish that you want to transport. You mentioned 5-10lb fish.

10 of these fish will require no less than 500 gallons of circulating and aerated water.

The oxygen depletes quickly as do the minerals of saltwater when it is only circulating and not remixing with new saltwater. Some fish markets have smaller tanks for more fish but they have a massive air supply for the fish to keep the water properly oxygenated.

Remember that the circulating pump and the oxygen pump setup may be 120volts which will then require an inverter to be installed on your vehicle. 12 volt models are available as well.

It is important to remember that a transportation aquarium (this fits the description) must be round in shape and not square as you see in most homes and pet shops. The reason for this is that fish are very territory or position oriented. As you are driving, they sense the difference in location all the time and feel the need to swim.

Fish will get banged up pretty badly in a rectangular container while in motion.

Please feel free to ask for more information if you need it. [cool]
[signature]