Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing in Cancun, Mexico
I'm going to Cancun, Mexico in February 2016. Would like some information on beach, back water, or fresh water fishing. I hear you can fly fish for snook, redfish, bonefish, etc. Can I also use spinning gear with shallow water lures, jigs, live bait, etc?

Lilricky
[signature]
Hey lilricky. I always love Cancun in February. It is an awesome time for Snook. Other species such as Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit and Bonefish may be present but not as abundant as the Snook.

Freshwater fish is pretty much out of the picture for Cancun. One will either fish from the shore or charter a boat for bigger species.

If you choose to take a flyswatter, I like to use 9-11wt rods. Be sure to have shock tip leaders and 40 to 50lb tippet. Slow to medium desent works fine. You will find the fish on the bottom most of all.

I like to use larger Clousers and baitfish looking Streamers. I also use a boomer line for added distance. I prefer my 11wt rod in a 12foot lenght or use a 13 1/2 foot spey rod for mega casting.

Light spinning gear can be used but you may not get the distance that you can with the fly or spey rod unless you set up with the Bubble/Fly type of setup.

You can use Streamer flies for this or make up some light weight poppers with a few wraps of lead wire to help with balance.

Let me know if you need more details. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks Man,

Haven't tried fly fishing since I was a little kid. I mostly fish for pike, walleye, and smallies in Michigan. Caught my fair share of snook and reds in Fla on spinning gear and bait casting. I'll probably hire a guide to do some shallow water. Don't really like the offshore stuff too much. Too much work for so few fish. Thanks for the fly fishing tips. Time to try some new techniques.
[signature]
Florida is awesome for flyfishing too. I like to use the Shrimp patterns there. They seem to work better than other flies.

If you would rather use the Bubble fly setup, that would work well on your baitcast or spinning reel. You need a spinning reel in the 2500 to 4000 size range.

Here is the setup.

1. Thread your line though a casting bubble (the ones that can be filled with water for additional weight)

2. Tie line to a swivel.

3. Tie about a 3foot piece of line to other end of swivel.

4. Add 2 red or orange beads to the leader and then tie your fly to the end.

The size of the casting bubble can vary depending on how far you need to cast.
[signature]
Howdy All,

I'm also headed down to Cancun/Playa del Carmen in a couple weeks for a vacation and would love to do some fishing while there. Not much of a fan of trolling, but would love to do some bottom/jig fishing. Anyone been down there and have a charter they'd recommend?

Thanks,

Jon
[signature]