Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Courtesy
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
Soon hopefully many folks including families will be out enjoying ice fishing what a great time is all’s I’ll say. Some are seasoned ice fishing anglers while others are brand new to the whole ice fishing experience.

Here’s some basic ice fishing courtesy recommendations:

-If you take a pet, keep the pet on a leash or make sure they stay with you. Make sure you pick up after them. Nothin' worse than dog rockets all over the lake. In that light if they pee on any of my stuff don't expect me to be very friendly. Its not my responsibility to keep Buddy from getting into any exposed hooks I may have lying about. If Buddy is overly aggressive and tries to nip expect that I’ll defend myself. A gentle "shoosh" with a boot to start and more to come if they persist. I don't usually blame the pet. Unruly pets are usually a reflection of irresponsible owners.

-If you take children please watch them for safety reasons and please don't allow them to run all over the place yelling and screaming. You may think it’s okay but again others are out enjoying and don’t appreciate children running around and carrying on like they are on the elementary school playground. Unruly kids are usually a reflection of irresponsible parents.
-If you packed it onto the ice, pack it off the ice. If you see trash do your part and pick it up not only on the ice but trails leading to the ice and parking lots. Your drilled ice hole isn’t a garbage disposal either…so don’t shove beverage cans, propane bottles, bait containers etc, etc in the hole.
-If Mama Nature calls be prepared have toilet paper, plastic bag, container (plastic coffee cans with lids work great the same goes for 2 liter soda bottles)...several times in the past we’ve come upon ripped up clothing left on the ice covering the human waste...totally disgusting.

-If you have a tendency to pound a few brewskis and/or drop a few choice words, please be mindful of others around you especially families with children. Just because you’re in a tent doesn’t mean you can’t be heard.

-If you use an ATV or Snowmobile please keep your distance from folks setup and fishing. Also again be mindful if you're allowing children to use these vehicles and for them to be respectful of others fishing and maintain their distance.

-If you night fish and use an ATV or Snowmobile don't overdrive your headlights and drive slow. Always be mindful of others out night fishing and some may be in ice tents that have reflective tape you may not see if full throttle at 50 MPH plus including in snowy/foggy conditions.

-Don’t drill other fishermen for information. It's enough to simply ask someone how the fish are biting. If they then wish to share info like lure/bait/depth, thank them for the info.

-Don't crowd other fishermen just because you may see them catching fish. Give them and yourself some distance. If you then interact with them and they are okay to the idea of you moving closer than by all means do so.

-When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence.
-Don't use someone else’s freshly drilled holes without their permission.

-Don't ask to use another angler’s auger. If your auger isn't working politely ask another angler if they'd mind popping a couple holes for you.

-If you see someone having difficulty lend a helping hand especially if they are having equipment issues. Just never know when the time will come that you may need a little help.

-No matter the conditions always, always, always use those ice stakes to secure your ice tent as a breeze or wind can happen at any time. Have seen many times anglers chasing after their tents on the ice.

-Always tell other ice fishermen about any ice safety issues you've encountered.
-Finally always let someone know where you going and when to expect you home and if at all possible don't go alone.

These are just a few reminders when out on the ice with others. Please share your recommendations. Have a great hard deck season!!!
[signature]
The worst are snowmobiles ripping right by your tents. They have the whole lake and yet they choose to fly by 5 feet from the hut. I've determined people aren't rude, they're just stupid.
[signature]
Not sure if I am more concerned about falling through the ice or being run over by a snowmobile. I have been hiking across Strawberry in fog so thick I can't see five feet in front of me only to hear snowmobiles flying by going at least 30 MPH. I doubt I would have time to figure out which way to jump if one was headed towards me in dense fog.
[signature]
Thanks for the great reminders and post. Ice season is here.
[signature]
As a snow mobile ice fisher man, I take the snowmobile so my wife and I can get away from the crowds. We are too old to walk very far. I travel on the paths other snow mobiles have driven. It is a good practice as you can be assured of safe ice and stay away from the slush spots. having been a walker for many years, I always walked the paths of the snowmobilers as they were good cleared paths to pull a sleigh on. I have found most others do the same thing. Setting up a tent close by the route of the snowmobile is generally what happens, especially when there is 6 or so inches of snow. So, the question becomes, is it the guy on the snowmobile who is at fault or the guy on foot. Seems to me both could be courteous and allow for all to use the ice. the snowmobile guy who wants to race around needs to stay away from the tent cities, the walkers need to realize that they are setting up on an established route and use some understanding. It is called public waters for a reason and all need to understanding.
[signature]
I rarely ever put up an ice tent, but my concern is being run over in the dense fog.
[signature]
Thanks for the reminder. Something we should all adhere to.
[signature]
Spot On!!!

If you set up on main routes leaving parking or exit points expect some traffic. Folks that like the packed trail 300 yds out from the parking lot but not the machines that make them are in for some disappointment. Main trails that round points Like Haws Point get some traffic. If the noise bothers you move a distance from main travel routs that diminishes the noise to the level you like. Or get used to the traffic.
[signature]
[#0000FF]All great suggestions. But if I may wax a bit pessimistic here, you are preaching to the choir. I seriously doubt that a lot of the folks who regularly violate basic rules of good sportsmanship and conduct on the ice are not likely to be members on this forum. Even if they can read...or operate a computer...they are the kind who do not believe that rules of etiquette apply to them.

Like yourself, I have had more than a few nice relaxing ice fishing trips totally ruined by the carelessness of pet owners or parents of unruly kids. I am a grampa and I love small kids and I love dogs. But that doesn't mean I welcome them to trash my ice fishing setup, raid my lunch or bait supply, break my rods, get tangled in my lines or just plain ruin the tranquility.

There are times and places for everybody and everything. But a serious ice fishing trip is not the place to have to take care of other people's kids and pets...especially if they gots no manners.

As far as folks "downloading" on the open ice...or down ice holes...there are no words. Too bad we can't grab them and rub their noses in it. Used to work when training dogs.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I have to throw one out to the 4 Wheeler Force who think they can go through 2 feet of snow to get to the ice and proceed to RIP the trail to Shreds.

Bad on you motorized boys - please walk or get a snow machine
[signature]
I just wanted to add a couple of things to the already GREAT advice.1st Go get a rescue bag aka kyake throw bag I bought mine from Sportsmans Warehouse for $50 it's a small price to pay to save someone's life it's readily accessible in case of emergencies and i have the ability to throw 75 feet of rope out with ease and accuracy. 2nd I use my ATV for pulling my ice fishing equipment out I agree with the previous statements ATVs are not snowmobiles but if you get a proper set of chains you reduce the chances of tearing up the environment. Lastly Because I have an ATV I regularly ask people if I can help them remove their equipment from the ice If I see them leaving I ran into a group of fishermen last year on Rockport that had an 80 year old man with them they couldn't express enough gratitude that I was willing to help them get all their stuff off the ice when the weather had taken a turn for the worst Just my two cents take it or leave it tight lines all be safe out there.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Kent,
Good concern when walking in the fog, but you gotta remember, the guy on the snowmobile is as lost as you and he also is following the trail so he can find his way back to the parking lot. Least wise, that is how I travel. When I was walking and in dense fog, I moved off the beaten path when I heard a snowmobile coming. Now if you are not on a trail, stop and look for the head light. My machines have the headlights on when the engine is running. I assume that is typical of most machines.

Funny thing when talking about falling thru the ice. Kent, you remember when we traveled to Bear Lake several years ago and fished on the West side just over the pressure ridge. Remember the two guys who decided to walk over to us and fell thru the pressure ridge. I was ready to pull out my rope and throw to them, but they managed to pull them selves out before I got to my rope. If that wasn't bad enough, after talking with us a few minutes, they walked back over the pressure ridge to go home and fell thru again. I still chuckle about that trip.
[signature]
[quote kj]

Funny thing when talking about falling thru the ice. Kent, you remember when we traveled to Bear Lake several years ago and fished on the West side just over the pressure ridge. Remember the two guys who decided to walk over to us and fell thru the pressure ridge. I was ready to pull out my rope and throw to them, but they managed to pull them selves out before I got to my rope. If that wasn't bad enough, after talking with us a few minutes, they walked back over the pressure ridge to go home and fell thru again. I still chuckle about that trip.

[/quote]

Yes, I remember it well and have retold the story several times. BTW - it was the east side of Bear Lake and only the one guy fell through twice. I couldn't believe how long they stopped and talked to you after getting out of the water. I could see ice crystals forming on them before they left to hike back up the hill. Kevin, someday I will be able to retire and it would be nice to get out with you again.
[signature]
Retirement??? What is that. My wife says I need to work until I am 68. I need to retire, my memory and mind are going. You are right, it was the East side. I thought they both went in. At least that is what I remember... or think I remember. We don't need to wait until retirement to go fishing. I got my wife into ice fishing about 3 or 4 winters ago and now I can't go without her. We are looking forward to our first outing at Renegade this winter. My Priest's Quorum is looking forward to this years Strawberry outing as well during the Christmas break. We are talking a little about spending the night on the ice this year.
[signature]
This is my spirt, and I u sweat and everything your saying, so thanks for this! And may everybody be safe in the ice!!!!
[signature]
TD agreed however I do believe there are folks who visit this site and maybe just maybe they'll see these tips and even better yet possibly pass this info along to others who aren't members. Can't hurt IMHO...

As for others regarding snowmobiles...we also use a snowmobile as we are older too and having the ice chariot makes a whole lot of difference. Totally agreed with paths established by sleds/ATVs makes it way easier for all others trekking onto and off the ice.

Those of us who act responsibly keep our distance from anglers setup and fishing that aren't on any established path including we don't need to fly across the ice at 50MPH plus...however I have witnessed on occasions sleds/ATVs zooming very close to folks (including us) on the ice going in excess of 30MPH. This is even more dangerous in foggy conditions or at night...We too have helped folks get gear onto and off the ice when conditions went south and at the end of a long plentiful ice fishing trip.

Its going to be a much better year this year with ice conditions and wishing all the best and we can't wait ourselves...but we don't need to be the first out on ice that's less then 4" the fish will still be there...carry-on...Oh here's a couple pictures on ice mind you this is for clear ice...anything can impact the ice conditions...

[inline "Ice Thickness-1.jpg"]

[inline "ATV through Ice at Berry.jpg"]
[signature]
Quote:

If you take children please watch them for safety reasons and please don't allow them to run all over the place yelling and screaming. You may think it’s okay but again others are out enjoying and don’t appreciate children running around and carrying on like they are on the elementary school playground. Unruly kids are usually a reflection of irresponsible parents
Quote:.

While I agree with most of what you said this statement is just out of line. People take their kids out for fun and said kids will make noise and run around while having fun and if you don't like that YOU are in the wrong place and might want to take up reading in the local library or something.
[signature]
I would urge anyone that experiences any of this BS to educate the person(s) doing it. My opinion is that they know, they just don't care and they bank on the fact that nobody will say hey... "wrangle your dog", "did you really just crap on the ice", "please clean up your mess on the ice" etc.

Like when most poor behavior and lack of coutisy is displayed they know they just don't care, and they know that you will say/do nothing and just go pout to your friends and Internet about it later. Make them accountable at the time, and if they truly don't know then you educated someone.
[signature]
[size 5][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Hi FLY BOY, I respect your input and maybe just maybe you haven’t been ice fishing a whole lot. Maybe you have I dunno and you just haven't seen. [/#000000][/font][/size]
[size 5][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I have taken children out and allowed children to use my gear…sit in tent and use camera, use our ice flashers and ice rods. Have donated bait and lures to parents and cut holes for parents when their ice auger wouldn’t start or had a manual auger and the ice was too thick for Dad to cut several holes. [/#000000][/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 5] [/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 5]Now here’s what I’m talking about and have witnessed be fortunate you haven’t…well yet anyways…children running around and finding and ice hole(s) I’ve drilled in the location I’m in and now they are soaking wet…not my fault little Billy or little Suzie fell in…playing star wars with gear like the ice rods were lazars or swords and parents yelling at them but they continue doing it, playing dodge fish similar to dodge ball but throwing fish at each other. Running on slick ice (no snow) falling and knocking teeth out and getting a nice gash/knot on their head and now they are screaming bloody murder. Yet again not my fault… Tripping on my ice stake I had securing my tent and almost hitting the blade of my auger I had next to my tent. Including having one young’n come over and picked up my auger and start banging it on the ice. If I’m in the location for several hours and then have company like that show up…well you can bet I’m going to say something to the parents and I have especially if little Billy or little Suzie help themselves to my gear without my permission. So if you find this type of stuff acceptable well you’re I’m pretty sure in the minority. Then for some reason the fishing shuts down and I wonder why with all the screaming and jumping up and down. [/size][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 5]Trust me I have no problem with children as I have 3 and now two grandkids. Hey parents are enjoying with their children as it is fun and great experience to be shared…However the above examples I've witnessed are the result of irresponsible parents and I stand by that. [/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]