Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello All
Heya guys,

I was doing some searches and came across this board. It seems to be the only Vegas board I've seen that gets regular usage so I decided to sign up. I've lived in Vegas for several years now, but until now I've not really messed with Lake Mead all that much. I've spent most of my recreational time camping and fly fishing for trout at smaller lakes within 3 to 4 hrs of Vegas.

I own a couple of float tubes and I've been to Lake Mead a few times on them, but I always found the lake too big to cover. Today I bought a used aluminum boat to match a 5hp motor I had so now I'll be able to explore the lake a bit more.

I was going to ask for help catching striper, but on second thought I'm gonna ask for pointers on catching anything reliably on Mead. The idea is to get out for a few hours a couple days a week and catch a few fish.

I grew up fishing for Black bass, crappie, bluegill and many varieties of catfish, but that was back in Louisianna where I'm originally from, and I have zero experience with the type of structure or the clear water Lake Mead has.

Just to be accurate I'm gonna list my boat specs and any other pertinent info.

12' V-Hull Aluminum boat
5hp Gamefisher Outboard
I'll be buying a small trolling motor, battery and fishfinder within a month for the boat.

I typically prefer fly fishing, but I have no probs picking up a spinning pole when need be. I don't really bait fish all that much, though I do on occaission. I wouldn't mind trolling some however.

I'm open to any and all ideas. The most success I've had so far on Mead is bank fishing for carp, which I do several times a year when the job or family doesn't allow me to get away.

I really wrote this to say hi to everyone. It's nice to see a Vegas fishing board that's getting some usage. I've tried a couple in the past and no one ever posted on them.

I hope the New Year is treating everyone good so far.

Mark
[signature]
Allow me to be the first to welcome you aboard. As my username indicates I'm too am relatively new to fishing Lake Mead. However, through my uncanny ability to ask some pretty dumb a$$ questions, there is still someone here with a decent answer. LOL. As far as fishing for Striper, a good rule of thumb is feed them what's in season. When shad are plentiful (Spring, Summer, and Fall) use shad or shad type lures, when Trout are plentiful (Winter) use Trout patterned lures or Anchovies. They will eat just about anything but your chances are better if you stick with what's in season. For Black Bass and the others I'm not much help there, I'm in the process of learning where to find them myself.

P.S. Earlier I checked out the Utah boards are a guy named petty4life has an Eagle Trifinder fish finder he's selling.

Take care,
David
[signature]
Well hello Telbone. I just wanted to give you a great big welcome to the Nevada Board. It is a pleasure to have a new member onboard. I hope you find that our board is helpful and informative. Feel free to join our discussions as well as posting your own reports. I have to ask where you like to fly fish. Nevada? Utah? The past 3 years I have been getting back into fishing. I used to live along the Colorado River near Bullhead City until 1981 when I moved to Las Vegas. I love to go trout fishing in Utah because I can get there in several hours. Southernman and a Southern Utah friend named hedgesd has guided us to some great areas in Uah to fish. Two places come to mind are The Boulder Mountain Area and Just out of Beaver Utah. Well I hope you like what you see and hope you have a great year.
[signature]
Nighthawk,

Two of my favorite lakes are Comins and Kolob, though I try to fish everything within a 4hr drive. I've never been to the Boulders or to the Beaver area... those areas are just a bit outside my range, though I do have plans to get up there eventually. I hit Panguich and the surrounding creeks once a year during an annual camping trip a buddy of mine puts together. I used to fish Echo and Eagle Valley Reservoirs a bunch, but I didn't go to either this past year. I also go to Lee's Ferry a couple of times a year. When I can find the time I like to catch bluegill at Floyd Lamb, which isn't too far from my house. I've also done ok at Lake Mead with carp, though I really couldn't term my carp fishing as "successful". I also hit San Diego a couple times a year when I go on trips with the wife. I wake early and I can usually get a few hours of morning fishing at one of the bays while she sleeps. I occaissionlly hit Baker reservoir and I've been known to go to Gunlock as well. I hit Fish Lake(and some of the smaller lakes in the area) this past year and I definately plan on going back this year. I'm usually a catch and release kinda guy, but this past year I got my first taste of yellow perch, and I won't be throwing any of them back in from now on. There's several places I'm sure I missed, but that's a quick rundown. I'm used to camping twice a month for most of the year. That is, until this year. We were blessed with a baby boy, my first child. Due to the added responsibility, I wasn't able to camp very much and was limited to day trips this past year. That is why I bought the boat and am getting interested in Lake Mead. Until he's old enough to go with me I have to fish closer to home. Also the wife has agreed to go camping with me quite a bit since I got a boat for her to tag along with me while I'm fishing. She used to get bored at camp while I was out in the float tube, but she doesn't mind hanging out with me in the boat, which is cool.

Boy was I excited to find this site! I've been trying to find a Vegas based forum for years with no luck. The biggest problem I foresee is finding the fish. Once I can find them, it's only a matter of time before I adjust to something they'll hit. I pretty much plan on staying with the fly rod for these guys. While I don't mind other types of fishing, it's the fight I enjoy with the fly rod. I'm also interested in crappie, bluegill, black bass, and even tilapia if I can find a fly they'll hit... not to mention carp. I don't eat them, but when I get lucky enough to hook one with the fly rod, boy are they fun. Hands down one of the hardest fighting fish for their size that I know.

Next Sun - Tues I'm going with some guys to Lee's Ferry, but after that it's gonna be Lake Mead for awhile. If I can get to the point where I can catch 4 or 5 striper a trip (average) then I'll be happy.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and maybe going fishing with some of you one day. I didn't buy a huge boat, but it will fit two comfortably, and since I generally fish alone, that leaves room for one more.

Again, I welcome all advice on helping me find success on Lake Mead.

Later guys,
Mark

ps. I forgot to ask earlier.. what are you guys thoughts on fishing at night with a light. I have a submersible white light I bought a few years ago for crappie fishing and was wanting to try it out for striper some time.[reply]
[signature]
sure great to have you here Telbone, i look forward to reading your fishin' reports and possibly a trip to kolob or commins!

[Wink]

sm
[signature]
[cool]Hey Telbone, I also like to flyfish. I do most of it in the eastern sierras of california. Also being new to Vegas, I am going to be exploring the outlying ares for flyfish opportunities. I do plan to hit Comins as well as Eagle and Echo. I have a friend in utah that will show some of his favorites also. Just waiting to get a chance to go. Welcome to the board and TIGHT LINES.
[signature]
as soon as the road to kolob is open in april or may, we'll all go and slay them!

sm
[signature]
Comins will open up a month before Kolob. If you can stand the weather it's an excellent time to fish it. Chironomid patterns on dry lines floated under a strike indicator will make you a happy man right after ice off. Spin fisherman can accomplish the same thing with a really small bobber and a split shot about 18" above a chrironomid pattern. That and late fall, right before it ices up, are the best times of year to catch some really big fish. Bait is allowed on Comins and I've seen some powerbait and night crawler guys really tear 'em up. Comins is not shore friendly though. There's a few places, but you'll be much happier in a boat or float tube. If you've ever wanted to fish Comins take my advice... DO IT NOW. The Fish and Games guys stock enough to keep up with the demand, but with pike established now, not many of the stockers are gonna live long enough to get large. As the bigger fish are harvested, they WILL NOT be replaced. This year should be excellent, but it will start to decline in following years. Comins is one really special lake and we owe it to ourselves to fish it while it's at it's peak. Be warned though, it can turn off like a light switch at times, and nothing I've done or seen anyone do can get them to bite. I camp in all weather, but a KOA campground is 5 miles up the road and they have two little cabins for $35.00 a night. Each has a queen and bunk twin beds in them. They're heated but don't have plumbing or cooking facilities. In the colder weather after ice off I usually stay there.

I really didn't mean to go on like that, but I want you guys to take advantage of a great lake while you can. If you're gonna fish it and want some advice feel free to ask. I've fished there a bunch. The only lake I've been to more is Kolob and that's strictly because it's less of a drive.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
the pike in there were illegally stocked?

sm
[signature]
Yes they were...

The state record pike was caught there, but I've talked to several game wardens and a NDOW biologist about it and the lake is not suitable to have pike. What happens is when they get established they have a growth boom as they eat up everything, but once the food is gone they stunt. The lake isn't large enough to sustain a pike fishery. They killed it several years ago, but some diehard pike fisherman who do not understand the ecosystem keep putting pike back in illegally.

They are getting the pike from a lake that's like 30 miles away.. I think it's called Bassett, but I don't have time to look it up as I'm on my way to work. In the next couple of years, they're gonna drain Comins and then rebuild the dam... it needs to be done as the current dam is the roadbed and it's slowly eroding. They're gonna separate dam from road and make the lake a couple of feet deeper. Anyhow when they do they're gonna poison Bassett lake to get rid of the pike so whoevers transfering them has a much harder time finding a readily available pike source. Then they're gonna manage the lake for trophy trout. Anyhow that's what I've been told, whether they actually do it remains to be seen.

I gotta run,
Mark
[signature]
I used to 4-wheel down to the bottom of Callville Wash and then break out the float tube. Working the rocky shore line for LM bass with a weedless rubber worm was what I usually did. I did top-water in the mornings for LM bass and striper. The bay at the bottom of the wash is surrounded by hills so it's semi-protected from the wind. Great place to float tube.
[signature]