Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Ice Trout
Looks like most of you guys know what you're doing so this may not be new and you may get your fish another way, but for those who don't this is how I get them on early ice. It is coming to the end of the Early Ice Fishing Season. There are still another week or two that most would consider early ice so get out there and give it a try. This is the time of year that you can get out and catch some of the biggest trout of the year on local ponds and stocked pothole lakes. Hope these tips will help you get into a few.

#1 Go Shallow
#2 Fish Shoals, Points, Weed Edges
#3 deadsticks work great
#4 small lures
#5 present high off the bottom
#6 first light and sunset are best times for shallow cruisers

https://youtu.be/McfL0jhdQTc
[signature]
We had a cold snap a few weeks ago and most of our upper elevation lakes froze but then it warmed up again before the lower elevation lakes could get a good solid cap. Good info on your video. How far did you have to travel to find ice?
[signature]
There is ice about 2 hours from the Vancouver Area. Just have to go inland to Merritt or up to the Whistler area. So not to far. Sun peaks is actually 4 hours from us but we were going skiing there as well. Works well, my wife can go skiing with the kids right at the hill and I can take the truck and go fishing to hundreds of frozen lakes in the surrounding area of Kamloops.
[signature]
I've been in that area around Kamloops, on one of our trips down from Alaska. That is quite a drop in elevation from Kamloops down to the flat land below. I remember going down this very steep road that seemed to go on for every. I thought it must be a tough road to travel in the Winter because of how steep it was. I can see why that area would be a lot colder but what is the elevation where you were fishing?
[signature]