Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piru/Castaic Tubing Report 1/17/04
I went to Lake Piru to go float tubing with TubeNtoo only to find out that the water level was down about 60 feet. There was hardly enough shorline left to tube on because of the bouys being so close.

We changed our plans and went to Castaic instead.

The water was calm, 51 degrees and according to DFG, they had just recently planted. What a bunch of liars.

We covered about 2 acres of paddeling around to only find 2 blips on the sonar. So we moved closer to the shore line maintaining about 150 feet. After about 10 minutes I got a small bump on the line. It turned out to be a baby 8lb LMB. He sucked down my live crawdad like it was candy.

In all the excitement to get picture, my camera fell in the water. I retrieved it in a heartbeat but the water had already done its toll. I O U a picture. Wait till spring when the bass get a little bigger.

The wind started kicking up on TubeNtoo decided he had enough of that. Since the wind was in my favor( would take me to shore with ease) I decided to kick it for a little while longer. There were no more bites after that.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Sounds like one of those trips that start out bad, get worse and then go downhill from there. Had a few of those myself. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Too bad about the camera. But, if you hadn't hooked that suicidal bass, it wouldn't have happened. Karma.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Still no fishing on the Arizona front and looks like bad weather for the coming weekend.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Got WetWaders coming down from Utah on business the end of the month. I promised him a trip, if the conditions are worth a shot.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Doesn't look like we will be able to swing a trip to Cal in February. Right now we are thinking a July shot would be better. We both have our birthdays in the third week of the month, and would probably like to have a good excuse to get out of the Arizona heat about then.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
The camera was the $18 Wallys World special in the digital category. I had dropped it before but was able to do CPR on it and it worked after a few days. I can only wait and see with this time. I have it on life support now.

I'm lucky on the camera though. It didn't happen with Tommy or Moby on the line. That would have ticked me off just a little.

Sorry you can't make it for Feb. But thats ok. I have a few spots that I am going to warm up for you when you get here in July. I guess having both your birthdays just a few days apart could make it quite convenient.

It might also be better notice for some of the other folks so that we can set up a proper floatilla. I need to check into our geneology and see if Roman Candles might be appropriate for your birthday cake.

[signature]
I would take a "baby" 8 lb LM any day! Heck, I'd take an 8 pounder no matter the species. I could catch an 8 lb piece of ice right now, but I don't think that would count.

Sorry about the camera, just don't try to dry it out with a hair dryer. High temps and electronics don't mix very well [Sad]. Been there, done that.

ES
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Nate, are you ready to come out of hibernation up there? I suppose the cold, the snow and the inversion have you looking longingly at your 'toon.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Won't be long now. Only another six months of winter.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I got a bunch more propeller blades and I am going to be doing some more Petes and prop baits. How is your project coming along?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the advice EmeScud. I do happen to have an electronics grade dryer. It is for shrink tubing and has a very hot for certain types all the way down to barely warm just for delicat things like that.

After that was the second dunk. I still have my binocular camera but that would reak havoc on my son to paddle all the way across the lake just to take a pic of his Dad with baby fishies.
[signature]
Amen on the wishing the inversion would leave. We are going on 2 weeks of little to no sun. I'm glad I didn't take that job in Seattle . . .

I stare at my toon everyday wishing I was on the water. My project is coming along well. I have about 6-8 lures turned out and am currently experimenting with different painting schemes. I still have to order my hardware though. I'm holding off on turning more lures as I don't know what actions I will get from the shapes I have, or color scheme effectiveness. Since I will be using these at Utah Lake mostly, I'm thinking about sticking with color combinations with a white/silver base or a black/blue base.

Once I get a couple completed, I'll have to test out the action in my jetted tub.

Onward and upward!

ES
[signature]
You know you're a true fisherman when your fishing equipment gets more action in the jetted tub than you do! lol[crazy]
[signature]
[cool][blush][cool][blush] LOL! So, when we going fishing???? How's your schedule this term?

nate (aka EmuScud)
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey guys, careful about the references to action in the hottub. You might give an old man palpitations. To heck with the young audience. Probably tame stuff to them anyway.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Had to share my experience when I was working on some of my lures. I lived in an area of Mesa known as Dobson Ranch. It is a planned community, with several small lakes meandering around among the homes. My backyard gate opened up onto one of the bike paths, right on one of the larger lakes. It was full of fish, and most of the residents practice C&R. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Like yourself, I would finish whittling and sanding a new design, and want to know how it might work..."action"-wise. So, I dressed them up with hooks, to get the proper readout, and tied them on to a line and hit the back yard "pool". On many trials, it was clearly "back to the drawing board"...to reshape the front end or reposition the hooks...or whatever. But, on some beta tests, I got enthusiastic acceptance. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I was almost late getting back to work at lunch one day when I caught one big bass after another, while testing the final version of one of my propeller baits. It was a warm day in early spring, and the bass were in shallow, next to the concrete retaining wall that ran along the bike path. The radiant heat was adding a degree or two to the temp and they were catching some rays. Every time I cast down along the wall I got a sploosh and a tussle. Several walkers and bikers stopped to watch the show. I was so involved in showing off that I almost overstayed my lunch hour. Woulda been worth it on that day.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am going to suggest you add a dark barred perch pattern to your creations for Utah Lake. Also, a "Fire Tiger" pattern. Those can really be effective...probably because of the contrasting colors. Otherwise, basic white and basic black will usually get the job done. Use a hot red eye on the white and a dark red eye...or chartreuse...on the black.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips as always! Don't worry, Cat_man and I will keep it calm. It just goes to show what 20 days of below freezing temps can do to us.

ES
[signature]