Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Icefishing Report 12-20-15
It's been a while, but I figured some might like a Gorge ice update.

We fished the Confluence yesterday on 6.5 inches of ice. The ice ends and open water begins just upstream of Confluence Point. Access roads had snow on them but were passable.

Lake trout fishing was good along the main channel in about 68ft of water. Many of the pups (up to 24in) were caught along the bottom, but some were suspended as shallow as 15ft under the ice. Soft baits like 3-inch tubes and curly tailed jigs in white, chartreuse, and glow, tipped with sucker meat, equally caught fish. A few fish were also caught on blade baits. Active jigging was more effective than dead sticking.

Rainbows were cruising just under the ice between 10-20ft and hit the traditional offerings like small tubes tipped with a meal worm. We caught some stout bows up to 20-inches which put some stress on the light tackle. Good times....

Hope it helps and good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Do you have much luck with 4 or 5 inch tubes,or you mostly stick with the three inchers for lake trout?
[signature]
Thanks Ryan!
[signature]
I do. I think these fish were aggressive enough they would've hit a bigger tube. I use even bigger tubes if I'm targeting bigger lakers.
[signature]
Alright. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Thanks for the excellent report!

Which access road did you take to the ice? Through Lost Dog or on road #11 to the confluence/Current Creek area?
[signature]
I took a road on the east side, but there were about a dozen trucks that were at the bottom of the Lost Dog road.
[signature]
Thanks! I'm hoping to try it out this week if I can, and as often as I can next week. The current extended forecast is for lots of cold weather so I'm hopeful that the Current Creek area will be safe soon.
[signature]