Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing For One Bite On Solstice Day
Launched from Callville about 10:00AM on Sunday December 20th. Only 4 rigs in the parking lot. Surface temps about 62° but only 55° when running. Slight chop and maybe 12" swells.

The morning began slightly less than auspicious; I found one of the neighborhood's feral cats had marked the driver's seat. Then just outside the no wake zone I discover the cable control to the port side livewell valve is stuck open; I can't trim the Skeeter. But that's not going to put me back onshore.

Ran to Firebowl Cove and nothing, then to the Arizona side and tried the walls and 45° chunk rock...working from 10' down to 45', in and out of the small coves and on main lake points...nothing.
Moved to Rotary Cove about 2:00 PM and tried some cranking and drop shotting for suspended bass. About 2:30 a small squall began and I decided to get in closer to the ramp.
I pulled into the small cove east of Callville Point and started throwing a 1/2 oz. football jig. Fished through the cove for no bites and carefully threaded my way towards the point itself. There are sections of chunk rock 45° shore exposed now. Fishing downhill, just outside the point I get my first and only hook-up for the day. Never felt a tick, the jig just got lighter. Couldn't get another bass to bite though I stayed in the area for about 20 minutes.
[signature]
Tough fishin'. Still better than sitting on the couch all day.

Thanks for the report.

Tom
[signature]