Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about mounting rod racks
So I've got a couple of single rod holders, TD style, as well as a 2-rod holder put together in a H shape (design also courtesy of TubeDude). I've got the holes drilled to run cord through to tie it to the tube. The question is, what kind of cord/hooks do I use to attach them? Do I just use some regular nylon rope and tie it on? I've seen a few pics and it looks like you use some sort of a hook or latch to hook to the D - rings. This is the last step I need to complete my system. Thanks for the advice in advance.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey there cat_man,[/size]

[size 1]As you can see by my setup I attached my rod/transducer holder to the D-rings with a simple metal snap clip and two metal chain links . I don't use any cord for I found that they provide too much slack. I drilled holes in the PVC and screw the pieces together. This setup [/size][size 1]has been working real well for me.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2433;]
[signature]

Hi there cat_man,

I love my bungie cords. I use them for everything but holding up my pants. You can buy all lengths and strengths but there's nothing to say you can't find the fasteners/hooks/clips/whatever and make your own.

Depending on the weight the to be supported, you need to choose the cords diameter. Also.... one must remember that just because you have D-rings doesn't mean they are meant to support any amount of weight you want. Especially if the tube cover is worn/aged/weathered or the material is some of the lighter guage material. I always check a tubes quality of the sewing .... do they triple and cross-stitch, etc., etc.

Check out the fasteners at the home building supply places near you.

JapanRon
[signature]
Just like JR said. Bungee is the key word. My Dad, TubeDude uses parachute cord. It is just the same as bungee but you can get it in rolls without the ends. You can go to some discount stores and buy those plastic key ring clips to tie onto the cord and streth around to fasten to your D rings.

I hope that helps you out.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey cat_man, you have already got some input from the peanut gallery (we're all a bit nutty here). I'll just toss in a few more peanut shells.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have tried all kinds of cords, ropes and twines. As TubeN2 mentioned, I tend to use heavy stretch cord (bungee) wherever a flexible connection will work. It's easier to get on and off, and as long as it stays in place you are good to go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]However, for anchoring a rod tube, I prefer to have a more firm connection, that will not stretch or slide. That means that at least the top connection should be with parachute cord or light nylon rope. When you tie it the first time, leave some extra length to make on the water adjustments when you get launched. The rotation of the air chambers, after you sit down, can change the angle of the tube and you may need to loosen or tighten the top connection to get the angle you want. If you connect the bottom of the tube with a stretch cord, it will hook up easier, and will still hold firmly in place.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I used to buy the plastic coated clothesline rope. It is sturdy and holds a knot well. But, it has a thin wire running through the entire length...for strength...and I had that poke a pinhole leak in a tube once. No more.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]For fasteners, I have tried all kinds of key chain snaps, climbing rope carabiniers, crosslock snaps, etc. Perhaps the simplest and cheapest connectors are "S-hooks". You can buy them by the dozen in building supply outlets, in whatever sizes you want. I clamp down the one end of the S, to form a loop for the line/rope and then partially clamp the other end to enable me to just slip the hook over a rope loop or D ring. For a permanant connection, you can clamp down both ends of the S hook after you have everything adjusted the way you want it.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have been lashing stuff down on my craft for as long as I have been "toobin'". Almost anything will work...to an extent. In the final analysis, you want something that is strong, water resistant, non-stretch (unless it's supposed to stretch) and non-injurious to either you or your craft. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you use nylon rope or cord, be sure to burn the ends for a few seconds with a butane lighter after cutting it to length. This prevents future unraveling. I also sometimes melt the knots together, to help avoid them coming undone. You have to be careful here. Do not use flame next to your craft cover, and do not melt the knot so much that it weakens and dissolves.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One last thought. There are increasingly more small straps and fasteners available in sports outlets. Some of these things allow you to put together your own system with quick connect and adjustment capability. I have made a couple, but have not found anything that is not prone to slipping under extended stress. That can be disastrous if it is connecting a full rod rack. Find a nonslip system and you may have a solution to a problem.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Is that enough words from me on the subject?[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks to everyone. Those are all some great suggestions. I'll have to see what I already have laying around the house and then figure out what I want to buy and use.

P.S. I ordered my bro's tube on Monday, and it's scheduled to be delivered to his house UPS tomorrow. Cabela's is FAST!!!! Great service!

Kevin
[signature]
Hey Catman, be sure to get some pics of the first mounting and launch. They are always funniest out of the round tubes.
[signature]
Will do if I get my digital camera by then.
[signature]