Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepest Ice?
My name is Dan Howitt and some of us were wondering what is the deepest ice you've bored through?

Also have you ever had ice sheets underwater sever your lines?

[inline depth_of_ice_hole.jpg]
Thickest ice I've ever drilled through was just a bit over 3 feet. That's pretty rare in my home state. The bummer was that I drilled it with a hand auger and once I finally broke through there was only about 1 foot of water under the ice, so I didn't fish there very long.

Your second question is harder to answer. My answer is MAYBE.

It would be hard to be conclusive on something like that. I do know that I've had shavings from my auger on top of the ice that have cut my line before. Sometimes you line just hangs up on the bottom lip of the ice and that can cause it to break. If you have any weaknesses that can help you find them (and not in a good way). [Smile]
[signature]
Welcome to the site idahooo. I've almost buried a power auger up to the head before, not exactly sure how thick that is but I'd guess around 3ft. I've never had sheet ice cut my line, its rare that anyone here would cut a piece of ice that big and push it under the ice and I'm not sure how it would form otherwise. I've never seen ice form in a sheet under the ice before, have you? I have seen big fish rub the line to a breaking point against the sides of the hole before as mentioned.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for all a this wow !

dan howitt
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Thickest ice o have drilled through (hand auger) is around 2 feet.
[signature]
I haven't been ice fishing since I lived in UT and ID. I do remember some areas of 2 feet of ice on the lakes.

I have never had sheet ice cut my line but I have been cut off on the edge of the ice hole. That happened at Willard bay with only 6 inches of ice present.

I did catch some nice fish at Henrys lake in ID through 4 inches of clear ice. I had no auger but made a hatchet cut hole. I lost 2 fish that day to cut off from the ice hole but still managed 3 nice Brown Trout which were invited to dinner that night. [cool]
[signature]
There are no Brown Trout in Henry's lake .
[signature]
Steve caught them all. LOL
[signature]
There was in the 80s. Browns and Bows. [cool]
[signature]
I have only been Ice fishing for 5 seasons but I remember hand augering 2' of ice at Cascade and Magic. I have never seen nor heard of ice sheets underwater until now
[signature]
I'm from Canada, so way up north we get a lot of ice. Some years more than four feet where we burry the auger right to the handle bars and cant get through. So we carry a 12 inch extension and that usually gets us through. So in between 4 and 5 feet. Never seen ice sheets below the ice.
[signature]
4 feet here, when it hit 5 foot I was out of luck, extentions werent long enuff