Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Gizzard Shad
Well my buddy and I finally got out last Friday for some fishing. Hit Boulder Harbor at 8:00 and headed to the wash for some Shad. Just as stated in an earlier post from Tom the bait was much tougher to come by. Took an hour with two of us to get enough bait to fish with. We actually netted several 2-3 pound giant gizzard shads and one real good sized Tilapia. Second time this winter for a tilapia in the Shad net. So we set up in 145 feet of water near sand island and eventually got 5 stripers. Nothing great but it was a nice day on the lake. I ended up keeping two of those big Shad to cut up into catfish bait for the spring.
[signature]
A day fishing is better than...

I caught a gizzard last weekend the size of the smaller one you did. One of those things I can't get out of my boat fast enough. Too darn smelly for me. Dumped what was in the net into the bucket and used a set of needle nose pliers to grab the gizzard and get it tossed over the side. I learned the first time when I grabbed one by hand how hard it is to get that smell off ya...

Several peeps have posted on the Striper Club Facebook page the same thing about bait. A bear to come by right now.

Tom
[signature]
Those are some big shad....
[signature]
nice work
[signature]

You'd think that Gizzard Shad would help the Stripped Bass grow to larger sizes.
I wonder if that will happen in the future at Lake Mead.
[signature]
Next time you guys net some extra Gizzards... ha!
https://shizuokagourmet.com/japanese-sea...zard-shad/
[signature]
After fileting some of these large Gizzard Shad we made a mix of KFC seasonings and placed them on cedar planks.

Lite the BBQ charcoal grill and got the temperature up around 300 degrees.
Once the grill was hot the fish and planks we placed on the hot grates.

Ever 15 minutes we would rotate the planks and spritz the burning embers forming on the underside. After 45 minutes on the heat the meal was set aside to cool. Then after about 10 minutes the fish was tossed into the trash can and we ate the cedar planks.

Don't eat bait....Cut it up into strips and catch fish.
[signature]
As soon as I read you cooked them on cedar planks, I was guessing thats how they would end up, lol, bait is always the best outcome from bait fish[Wink]. Still, I loved the long description before you tossed them in the trash.[Smile]
[signature]
Haha. That reminds me of my late uncle's recipe for carp* except he used 2x4's. [Wink]
[signature]
Works on Ducks too, like wood ducks and mud hens.
[signature]
Mud Hens....like a big gritty, blood, mud and swamp greens.
[signature]
They are stinky buggers, they are. That smell,[crazy] is worse than many other things I can think of. I recently bought some defishing soap which is pretty effective for fish stank. Haha [bobhappy]
[signature]
carry a big bottle of Purrel and Orange Hand Cleaner. works every time to kill fish smell off. use in that order also
[signature]