Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REWARD OFFERED
Gizzard Shad found in West Boggs Lake<br>----------------------------------------<br>$1000 reward offered for information about illegal stocking<br>------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br>DNR biologist Brian Schoenung recently confirmed the presence of gizzard shad in West Boggs Lake in Daviess County, which has state biologists, DNR law enforcement and county officials concerned - so concerned that they are offering a $1,000 reward for information about who may have released shad into the lake. <br><br>The gizzard shad is an invasive species that competes with young crappie, bluegill and largemouth bass for food. As shad populations grow, game fish production drops. <br><br>Because largemouth bass tend to grow quickly when shad are first introduced to a lake, zealous anglers may be tempted to stock shad into their favorite fishing spots, which is illegal and reduces fishing success in the long run as shad become the dominant species in a lake. <br><br>West Boggs Lake was drained and restocked with game fish seven years ago to eliminate shad from the fishery. <br><br>"Since the renovation, West Boggs Lake has been one of our finest fish management success stories," said Schoenung. "The misguided and illegal stocking of shad could jeopardize a million dollar fishery." Schoenung has scheduled a fisheries survey this spring to see what impacts the shad are<br>having on the West Boggs fish population. <br><br>The DNR Division of Law Enforcement is investigating the illegal stocking. A reward is being offered through the Turn In a Poacher program (TIP) for information leading to the conviction of the person responsible for this crime. <br><br>Mike Axsom, superintendent of the Daviess-Martin Joint County Parks and Recreation Department, which operates West Boggs Park, has announced that his agency is providing $1,000 for the TIP reward. <br><br>"A lot of time and money went into making our lake a success and we take it seriously when someone tries to jeopardize that," said Axsom. <br><br>Individuals with information about this illegal stocking are urged to call the DNR's TIP line at 1-800-TIP-IDNR. <br><br>West Boggs Park Web site:<br>http://www.westboggs.com/ <br><br><br>
Hey everyone, <br> <br>It sounds like this is a pretty serious problem. Since minnows can be a variety of types of fish, the dumping of a small bait bucket of minnows into a lake could have disasterous effects. And on top of that, it's illegal. So just a reminder, when you're done fishing, don't dump the bait into the water. <br> <br>Thanks,<br> <br>Robert<br><br>
Robert, You have brought up a verry good point about bait disposal. I hope it spreds nationwide. I had not thought of the problems that can develop from doing it. I know it will be on my mind every time I go out to fish. I now know why many local stock ponds in my area are over come with shad. This board has prouven once again to be the best. I am almost 45 and have been fishing since I was around 4-5 and still am learning about safe informed fishing. <br>For the newest to the board, remember to check it offtin and you will learn alot.<br><br>Texas gulf cost fisher.
here is something you may not know and that is that fisheries use the same fish for stocking as with bait. <br><br>what may also have happened is that some one when restocking ordered a tank of feeders that were raised in a pond in the fishery and some how a hand full were mised when changing stock breeds in the ponds. it dosnt take many to start a growing population of the wrong speicies.<br><br>another senario is that a bait shop ordered bait from an unreliable source or ordered form an out source to bump up the bottom line.<br><br>bait shops here in michigan are not allowed to sell bait fish that are not all ready native to the surounding waters.<br><br>we have problems with unwanted species here as well, several typs of fish that dont belong, crustations, mucles and lamphries as well.<br><br>unfortunatly big buisness is usely to blame for 99.99% of all foren species in the waters we work and play.<br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown