Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane heater?
I have a Eskimo Quickfish 3 ice shelter. I currently use a Mr. Heater dual burner. It works great, but I was wondering if there is something smaller that could be used to heat my sized tent? Basically I'm trying to make more space in my sled for other things. I've looked at the Little Mr. Heaters that puts out 3,800 btu. Do they work ok?
[signature]
I had one of those last year. It was okay, but was a pain to get started. I upgraded to the single panel heater buddy this year and it's perfect for my 6x6 ice tent. Cal ranch is putting them on sale now and should start clearing them out 40% off soon! I paid $49 last February or March.
[signature]
definatly the single burner! They are actually quite a bit smaller.
[signature]
Tough to find but you will not find ANYTHING better than an old Coleman Focus 5 heater for that fish hut.
[signature]
I started out with the Little Buddy, but it just didn't put out enough heat. Plus I couldn't even get it to light the second year. I have both the single and the double now. On really cold mornings the single burner has a tough time keeping my 6'x12' shelter warm. But it should keep your Quickfish 3 plenty toasty. It doesn't have the fan in it that the double version has though.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. "SBennett". How about the Coleman Blackcat or the Sportcat?
[signature]
i have the smaller mr heat and it works pretty good in my quick fish caravan i've been very happy with it and it's size
[signature]
What do you use for light in the tent?

I don't have a ton of experience, with ice-shelters but I am sorting out my own systems now that I have a tent. When I talked to some guys three weeks ago in a bigger shelter, I couldn't BELIEVE how big their heater was, but I noticed two things: there was one big heater in one corner of the tent, and their lanterns were battery powered.

So, I wondered why they didn't have propane lanterns and a smaller heater in the middle. Is there a reason? I know in backcountry bowhunting and backpacking, having things serve dual purpose like that is helpful.
[signature]
i have a eskimo fatfish 949 that I use a double mantel lantern I had a heater that was 8000 btu's but I found that by using a lantern that you have more heat control they put about about 5000 btus of heat. I was cooking myself out of my tent using the 8000 btu. I would have to open my windows and vents with the 8000btu heater. for the most part the lantern would give off a nice warm consistent heat. I can fish in my tent with my snowpants and jacket off. using a lantern I do keep my 8000 btu heater in the truck incase its to cold for my lantern to keep up.

pro deo pro patria
[signature]
Not sure about those.
The Focus is vintage and extremely simple/reliable.
No tip over or low oxygen sensors and was discontinued due to human error.
EBay or garage sales is the way to find them.
[signature]
Ok thanks for everyone's input. I'll have to see if I can find a Coleman Focus 5 on Ebay.
[signature]
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=...233&lpid=3

Saw this on ksl.com thought you might be interested.
[signature]
4pointmuley

I have the same ice tent that you have and I use the little buddy indoor safe heater in mine. On really cold nights on pineview it struggles but if you are dressed to ice fish it makes it so that its comfortable to not have to wear gloves. The only time that I have had issues with it lighting is last weekend. I had the heater in my sled while it was raining/snowing and the heater ended up freezing over night in the back of my truck. I had to remove the striker and then get it dried out before it would produce a spark. Other then that I have loved the heater and it has worked great!

P.S. it also worked while sitting in about 2" of water. Very surprising to me to say the least.
[signature]
I bought one of the Little Buddy's and it works great for me. I keep it covered in an old pillow case liner. That helps to keep it dry.
[signature]
Oh that's a good idea! I never thought about that. Its usually in the tent with me but last sat it wasn't that cold so we were just in the tent to keep from getting rained/snowed on! ill have to use that trick in the future.
[signature]