Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Friday night
Well, I got there early (4 pm) hoping to snag a perch to help catch my crappie. No perch, but once it started getting dark, the crappie moved in. Not heavy but fairly constant. I really had to earn them! Apparently all the fishermen have them well fed. Finally just before 9 pm I ended up with my limit. Fun night but I was amazed by the people pouring out onto the ice well after dark. As I was getting in my truck 2 more trucks pulled in. I was using a chartruse/white glow jig and mainly wax worms. Mixed a few up with mealies, but it didn't seem to make much difference. Still very light bite. Wire tip and flasher!
[signature]
I was there thursday night. Limited out in an hour. Fun times for sure.
I may go tonight....20 more would make a fine fish fry for dinner.

LT
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Looks like the night bite is on.
[signature]
How are the snow depth and slush?
[signature]
I was up there Friday night as well. I'm not much of an ice fisherman and had trouble hooking up with these soft-biting crappies but we still managed to catch some. The sonar was lit up with fish constantly. Couldn't even see the jigs once they dropped into the fish zone. I'm not sure if the impending full moon was affecting the fish or not. Seemed like with all the fish on the finder we would have had faster action. Still, we were getting hits every few minutes and ended up icing 15 between 2 of us. We were using rat finkees and ice flies tipped with waxies, below a swedish pimple or tube jig. The action tapered off after 9:30 for us.

The ice isn't bad. Most of the slush has frozen over with an inch or two of ice and walking is easy. I did break through the crust a few times.
[signature]
Thanks.
[signature]
I'd bet you got a lot more bites than you realized with the jig below your Swedish Pimple. Crappie often lift a bait when they inhale it, and all that does is create a little slack in your dropper line - which you never feel at all.

Tie the ice fly in ABOVE the heavier jig, dropshot style - and watch that spring wire.
[signature]
Interesting, thanks for the tip!
[signature]
We were there as well. The bite was definitely light. We fished in 30 ft of water. The fish were suspended between 20 & 30. We had 6 of us in the tent. 3 of us had vex's, the other 3 didn't. Those without the sonar didn't catch anything. We caught 29 total. The fish came in heavy about 7 p.m. We stayed until 9 and then packed it up and came home. The bite was still on when we left, we were just hungry. My son was using a red ratfinky tipped with a worm and caught 4. My wife and I caught the rest. I found that if I tipped the hook with a piece of sucker meat, dropped to the bottom and slowly reeled up, I got at least 1 hit every time. I could feel the bite. I also had a wire tip sensor. I caught at least 15 doing it this way. My wife dead sticked hers and was using a wax worm. After she switched to sucker meat, she started getting hits more often. My first time targeting crappie. If they are as good eating as everyone says, I will be back. The fish finder was a blaze with action, they were just a bit lock jawed. There was another group close by us. They said they caught 87. There were 40 of them fishing for 2 hrs. That equates to 2 fish each. Not very good stats.
[signature]
How is the Perch Fishing in the am?
[signature]
I'm pretty sure the perch fishing in Pineview is pretty much shot for now. It use to be loaded with 100 as a limit. Between being food for other species and low water levels impacting spawn, it may never come back. There are a few in there but I haven't heard of anyone hammering them. If you want perch look to Starvation or Fish Lake. There are some good places up in Idaho, I am told,fairly close to the Utah boarder, but I haven't tried them. There are a couple of okay producers up Logan way also. Echo has some, but it is very hit and miss, as is Rockport. I'm sure there are others, also.
[signature]
nice job.
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
[quote perchpile2]I'm pretty sure the perch fishing in Pineview is pretty much shot for now. It use to be loaded with 100 as a limit. Between being food for other species and low water levels impacting spawn, it may never come back. There are a few in there but I haven't heard of anyone hammering them. If you want perch look to Starvation or Fish Lake. There are some good places up in Idaho, I am told,fairly close to the Utah boarder, but I haven't tried them. There are a couple of okay producers up Logan way also. Echo has some, but it is very hit and miss, as is Rockport. I'm sure there are others, also.[/quote]

Like most perch waters it has it's ups and downs. It is in its down cycle right now.[:/].
[signature]
Sadly it never really had a solid up cycle that I can remember. Sure we were catching perch two and three years ago, but nothing of any decent size. Too bad really.
[signature]
Need lots of water this year. That will help the spawn.
[signature]