Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limit of huge yelloweye rockfish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfIa4U40YQ

Out with the family using big jigs with glow tails tipped with some fish skin worked great to haul up some big yelloweye rockfish from the depths.
[signature]
Nice fishing and awesome catching.[cool]
[signature]
I hear those fish are good eating, what other fish would you compare them to, as far as taste, are they as good as halibut?
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]I hear those fish are good eating, what other fish would you compare them to, as far as taste, are they as good as halibut?[/quote]

I think they are excellent. Not sure what to compare it too. I've never tried halibut. It's similar to most other rockfish just the flake size in comparison is huge.
[signature]
Sorry for my ignorance but are yelloweye rockfish, the same as red snapper? I went to the grocery store today and ask them about the orange rockfish, they were not sure but thought I might be talking about red snapper. [:/]
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Sorry for my ignorance but are yelloweye rockfish, the same as red snapper? I went to the grocery store today and ask them about the orange rockfish, they were not sure but thought I might be talking about red snapper. [:/][/quote]

Yeah if it is Pacific Red Snapper this is what they are talking about, the Yelloweye Rockfish. If it comes from the Atlantic or Caribean there is actually a fish that is called a Red Snapper. Different fish all together.
[signature]
The Red Snapper on the west coast is the Vermillion Rock Fish. Your local market may also call it Orange Roughy but realize that that fish is running into the endangered list because of over fishing.

The true Red Snapper is on the east coast and is a distant cousin of the Sebastes or Rock Fish family on the west coast. [cool]
[signature]
They were calling it rockfish, I guess I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info Steve.
[signature]