Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cache La Poudre Canyon
I finally managed to get up the Cache La Poudre Canyon and check out the river and fishing conditions. Frozen describes it best. There were a few open spots but nothing big enough to even toss a fly or lure in. It was snowing when I drove up there with very few other vehicles (the DOW officer must have thought I was crazy driving up there). But once past all the little wide -spots-in-the-road, it was prestine conditions for peace and quiet. Stopping at the Lower Narrows campground (closed for the winter. Bummer.), my favorite fishing spot was frozen, as in three feet of ice and snow in a normally fast moving stretch of river. I didn't stay long after seeing the bear and mountain lion tracks in the parking lot. I thought bears hibernated during the winter?

On to Boyd Lake, Ft. Collins. The last time I saw it, it was very, very, very low. It's now filling nicely and should be full come springtime. There were several die-hards out on the ice jigging for walleyes, none caught while I was there. The ice must have been safe, there were plenty of ATV tracks out onto the lake and several led across to the opposite shore.

Carter Lake, Berthod. Down at least 150 ft and it doesn't look like it will fill this year. Maybe by the time we next put a man on the moon. Maybe.

It just doesn't feel like winter time in the Rockies, its been just too warm. A low of 18 at night and a high in the high 40s during the day. The higher elevations has been getting a lot of snow but none down here in the Front Range, where we need it to fill the reservoirs and lakes. Besides, I love seeing all those shiny SUVs belly-up in the ditch when there's only an inch of snow on the ground. Damn flatlanders!!
[signature]
hey , i resemble that remark , my car too, lol [crazy]!

now don't be too harsh on us vertically challenged michigan people , after all those mountains used to belong here , rumor is that they were lost in a poker game to pecos pete and they fell out of his pocket on the way to the coast for a fishing trip .[Tongue]

man i hope you get some steady spring rains or a good hard blizzard to get the levels up .

your pal , al
[signature]
If the drought don't kill off the fishing, all the home building will. There are lawsuits galore filling the courts over water rights. People thought the water tables would last forever. Dumb thought. It has been predicted that the cost of a water tap within five years will be $24,000, just for one single-family dwelling. After draining all the reservoirs, these idiots called politicians will go after the ground water in a big way, until it is dry. Then what? Any visitor to Colorado will have to bring their own water or drink Coors beer. I'm a Bud man myself.

I've been giving this situation some serious thought (I know, thinking is bad for the mental health) and I really can't come up with a viable solution except to stop building and start conserving. I don't care if I have a green lawn or not, I'd rather just cover it with concrete and paint it green, then sweep it clean. But mess with my fishing, and there will be hell to pay. I've started bombarding (will that word be picked up by the CIA's listening satellite?) my local village idiots with letters expressing my opinion on the subject. So far, nothing. When Great Lakes water is being exported to China (that's not as far fetched as it seems), then maybe more people will wake up.

As for snow, we'd need a hundred feet to make a dent. If that happens, I'd better find myself a female bunk mate who loves to shovel snow, is a confirmed nudist and knows a thousand recipes for SPAM ®.

Other than that, I don't have much to say.
[signature]
you should announce this on the fishing coservation forum as well , i'm sure the same thing is effecting other areas and getting a few tis from what you are doing would help them .
[signature]