Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the Santa Clara River
I've got in-laws down in St. George, and have been curious about fishing the Santa Clara. I imagine that down in the lower elevations below Gunlock I won't find much more than chub or suckers? I've read in some places that some trout live in the stretch around Veyo. Any experience from people out there?
[signature]
There are browns in the stretch right below Baker, nothing big but fun. Tough conditions though, lots of brush and growth.
[signature]
Thanks! I'll have to go give it a try.
[signature]
I used to flyfish the stretch just below Pine valley reservoir back in the day. It was nothing spectacular, but I would get a few.
[signature]
I have had stories of some large browns being in there by Baker. I have had my eye on it this winter as I just moved down, but the water levels are so low and access so limited I had a hard time even finding a spot to fish.

Also, Gunlock was treated with Rotenone in October to prevent small mouth bass from getting into/overpopulating the Santa Clara River system. I'm sure you could find other species of fish.

I thought of fishing below gun lock but wasn't sure if the tailwaters of a lake are effected by rotenone treatments...anyone know?
[signature]