Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Man Pontoon Help
Hey All,

So I am looking to get a pontoon boat (I think) that will give me the ability to also stand while I fish. I have seen a few two man, but that just seems like a bit much for some simple still water fishing. I don't anticipate back packing to any lakes with it, so it wouldn't need to be a super portable option, but if I can have my fish and eat it too (see what I did there), then for sure I would be open to that. My main thing is for it to not break the bank (or my marriage for the matter), have a platform so I can easily stand while I fish and have the flexibility to add on some aftermarket accessories down the road (trolling motor, mounts, etc...). Maybe I am better off with a kayak, but I like the idea of the more stable pontoon. I'm only 35 and I good shape with good balance so maybe a kayak is a good option too. Please let me know what you have, pros/cons or what you would recommend. I am primarily into fly fishing, but love the idea of getting into some deeper water with a bate rod as well.

Thanks for your help!!

Tight Lines!
[signature]
[quote ru22dizzle]Hey All,

So I am looking to get a pontoon boat (I think) that will give me the ability to also stand while I fish. I have seen a few two man, but that just seems like a bit much for some simple still water fishing. I don't anticipate back packing to any lakes with it, so it wouldn't need to be a super portable option, but if I can have my fish and eat it too (see what I did there), then for sure I would be open to that. My main thing is for it to not break the bank (or my marriage for the matter), have a platform so I can easily stand while I fish and have the flexibility to add on some aftermarket accessories down the road (trolling motor, mounts, etc...). Maybe I am better off with a kayak, but I like the idea of the more stable pontoon. I'm only 35 and I good shape with good balance so maybe a kayak is a good option too. Please let me know what you have, pros/cons or what you would recommend. I am primarily into fly fishing, but love the idea of getting into some deeper water with a bate rod as well.

Thanks for your help!!

Tight Lines![/quote]

Your best choice is probably a used canoe if you can rig stablizer kit, for standing and low cost. Used jon boat also works, but harder to propel without motor.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]
[#0000FF]Dave Scadden (North Fork Outdoors) makes several models of one-person pontoons that allow standup fishing. But they are definitely at the higher end of the price scale.

There are other single person 'toons with standing platforms and some with lean bars. Great for double haul fly flinging and for sight fishing bass in shallower water. But obviously that option adds both to the weight and the cost. You will need to do some shopping.

Most 'toons either come with motor mounts or they can be added later. Some of the shorter and lighter models are not as suitable for adding an electric motor and battery. If the pontoons are not long enough or stable enough it is tough to get the weight distribution right when that extra weight is added and you need to adjust seats, etc.

Kayaks are increasing in availability and popularity among non-boating float-minded anglers. There are the very basic and less expensive shell 'yaks that you operate with standard kayak paddles. Then there are the Hobie ProAngler series with foot pedal propulsion and easy standup fishing options. The latter are definitely up there in price but they are highly prized by those who own and use them.

I suggest you spend some time looking over the booths at the upcoming sports shows. A good place to actually view the new ideas on the market. And both Sportsmans and Cabelas have a lot of different models on display all the time. Of course there are endless websites from manufacturers and outlets touting the features and benefits of the different options.

One of the better ideas might be to watch for personal ads for guys who are either selling off equipment they never use...or who are upgrading to something bigger, newer and spendier. There are some good deals out there every year. And if you have done enough homework to help you know what you want and/or need you can better spot the good ones.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude! I think I am leaning toward the 9 foot Fish Cat Panther. Haven't seen anything bad about it and seems to have some solid flexibility to add some items that I would like. I think too, that with the stability I could really fish from the seat standing up if I wanted to, but it sounds like it has me riding above the water pretty high too so I may not need to worry about standing a whole lot either. I'm excited to enter into this new world of pontoon fishing!

Thanks again for all of your input and information.
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is an excellent craft. I just got through helping a fellow BFTer trick his Panther out with a bunch of PVC goodies. It does have good high pontoons with plenty of weight capacity. Comes with motor mount and rear cargo deck.

Attached are pics of the frame...before and after attaching rod racks, tool rack, sonar and rigid plastic apron. In the first pic you can see the standup platform.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow. That is very impressive! I bought my Panther last night and I think my first order of business will be getting a fish find rigged up, and then of course a platform. Do you happen to have any of the plans and measurements for this set up? That platform looks great, and I really like how the fish finder is set up! You guys did a great job!
[signature]
[#0000FF]The platform came with his 'toon. But I think it is an add-on accessory you can buy after purchase. Check their online site or look for websites on float tube and pontoon accessories.

I have helped quite a few guys set up their sonars. Every toon frame design is a bit different...as are the sonar models. Once you decide on a system I would be happy to help you decide where and how to install it. You would be welcome to bring your craft and accessories over to my "tubeatorium". I live in the west valley area of Salt Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]