Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upper Green Spring Conditions
I'm planning a trip to fish the Green River above FG sometime in April-May and was wondering what kind of conditions to expect. Planning on staying in/near Kemmerer and fishing below (possibly above) Fontenelle Reservoir. No access to a drift boat so we will be wading only. My specific questions are:

1. What are average river conditions like with regards to runoff and turbidity?

2. Are Fontenelle discharge rates managed for fishable conditions downstream during that time of year?

3. What is public river access like in that area? Is access to decent water available?

I'm familiar with the A and B sections of the Green but have never fished above FG. Any other info about fishing that area would be much appreciated.
[signature]
Use the USGS site to look at historic flows for that site.
Last year:

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/...2016-02-04
[signature]
I have wondered about walk-wading that section myself. Driven by many times but never fished it. I wouldn't think access would be a problem and I've heard spring can be pretty good with the bows coming up out of the lake.

Good luck,

T.B.
[signature]
I live near that section and fish it a few times per year. The biggest thing is the weather. You can have sunny and 50-60 degrees, and in no time be dealing with freezing temps, and high wind, and snow. The river has nice size fish, but the numbers of fish are nothing like below flaming gorge. It is a big river and fish can be hard to find, but the rainbows will be looking for spawning gravel during that time, and may be easier to find. I would try the Hamms for also. The fish are just as big, and the river is way smaller and easier to fish. The Green below Fontenelle has been "discovered" and the days of no pressure, are a thing of the past. It gets fished just as hard as any other section of the green now days. The water flows depend on the demand down stream, but until May they are usually pretty low on that section. I certainly would'nt make this a destination (come out here just to fish the green). But it you are in the area anyway it is worth fishing for sure. I hope this helps, and happy fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply! That is very helpful.

We fished the A section of the Green last year at the end of April and had weather ranging from blizzard conditions to a comfortable 55 degrees. I'll definitely be more prepared for the bad weather this year.

Hamms Fork is on the list of waters to hit. It sounds a bit more forgiving for the wading angler visiting that area for the first time.

Any advice for wading access on the Green? I've read that the river gets less pressure the farther away from Fontinelle one gets. Can you confirm? Is it worth the extra miles? Any more info you can give would be appreciated. I don't want to blow up your spots. Just want to make the most of this trip since my trips are now few and far between. Feel free to send a PM.
[signature]
Its not blowing up the spot. Sadly that has already happened, but the fishing can still be worth it. Its a big flat river. In my experience you just have to find a good run or deep hole, and work it. I fish streamers about 75 percent of the time I fly fish so I may focus on different water than someone who is nymphing or fishing dries. There aren't may features so that is what is hard for me. I just find a good riffle about waist deep and start stripping streamers, and hope to catch something. I certainly don't have that river pegged.
[signature]
Above Fontenelle is cloudy on rainy days or warm days. It is a great spot in the summer with the hatches, but in the spring it is cloudy.

Below Fontenelle is pretty clear until you get to the point where Big Sandy enters the green. Big Sandy clouds up the lower stretch pretty good.

Wtih Fontenelle as low as it is right now they are going to let it fill up.

Public Access is good below fontenelle to the Trona Mine. The Trona mine down stream to Green River is a checkerboard public and private, however it is primarily rock springs grazing land and they are not known for disliking trespassers or caring.

However, Wyoming private land does not have to be posted. It is your responsibility to know where you are at all times. Seedskadee national refuge is all public land and is open to fishing.

I fished there last weekend and it had a share of anglers right below the damn and drift boats galore in the snow.

Wade fishing in my mind is a better way to go than drift boats, because you have to find an area to park or stop the boat to effectively fish a run. They cover a lot of water and do not get casts into all of the holes. The longer and more accurately you can cast the better off you will be.

I use a skagit line (Big flies) or scandi line (small flies)cast when I am pitching streamers. It is a good technique to catch fish on a two handed rod and I do not need any room behind me to make casts.

In Seedskadee there is some deep water, so don't be afraid to throw a sinking leader or tip to get your fly down low to do business.

As far as fly selection in this stretch of the river.

In fast moving water swinging streamers Crawdad patterns are the ticket a lot of the fish are chuck full of crawdads (to the point you can feel the crawdads in the stomach when handling the fish), wooly buggers are a solid pattern, leaches are ok, sculpins (my favorite pattern) are ok.

In slower moving water a nymph pattern can work depending on the hatch. I do not do much of this right now, because I prefer swinging streamers on a two handed rod. I did see a few people catch fish bobber fishing. I would think that straight line nymphs could be fun on the river, but after two handed fishing with streamers, nymphing seems like a lot of work.

Dries should turn on in the next few weeks as the winged vampires emerge and start to ring havoc. Do not forget bug spray on a warm day.

Good luck and if you see a guy in duck hunting waders with a two handed room throwing meat come say hello.
[signature]