Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bass that got away
[size 1]A few years ago, back before the drought and Utah Lake was full to the brim, my dad and I took his canoe out to Provo Bay (Mud Lake) south of the Provo Airport dike. We canoed around in the morning (in April I believe) and went back into a corner where there were lots of trees in the water. We cast worms and bobbers into the pockets in the trees. The water was about 3 1/2 feet deep there. About 5 seconds after my bobber hit the water, it suddenly dove towards the bottom. Unfortunately, I had two poles out at the same time, (2-pole permit)and after I set the hook the fish took a dive into not only my other line that was out, but also some submerged vegetation. As I struggled to get my second pole reeled in and out of the way, my dad got a hard hit on his pole. So we have total chaos going on as we try to bring in these two big fish. My dad lost his moments after it was hooked -- it threw the hook. We never saw and and to this day we don't know what kind of fish it was. Mine, however, I was able to pull up out of the sticks (super strong fireline) enough to see only it's head. It was a HUGE bucketmouth! It was still tangled in my other line, and kept taking line back out. Suddenly, the line went sickeningly slack. It was over. It was gone just like that. I couldn't believe it. I was so mad! My dad yelled at me and told me that if I wouldn't have been messing around trying to use 2 poles, I would've had him. Maybe he was right. Now I'll never know. I think that the fish he had was probably another lunker bass. It was spawning season and they were in a great area for making a spawning bed. That area was actually farmed this last summer. A farmer went out there and plowed it and grew corn there. That's how low the water is. [/size]
[signature]
thanks for the story cat_man i think utah lake is a underrated LM bass fishery i fish for them the first time last spring and summer and caught many many of them the largest going over 21"
[signature]