Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valentines on the A
Headed to the green next weekend to celebrate V-day by throwing some streamers. Its great having a wife who loves fishing and the outdoors. Probably not too many wives out there who would want to spend Valentines day standing in ice cold water in February. I'm a pretty lucky guy. Anyone else going? Don't be afraid to say hello. I'll be the ugly guy with the hot wife

T.B.
[signature]
Me and my girlfriend are on the fence whether to hit the green or head south and fish the fremont, but if we make it to dutch john and run into ya, we'll he sure to say Hi!
[signature]
Awesome! Hope you do well wherever you decide to go.

T.B
[signature]
You are seriously debating? I would choose the Fremont every time over the A section of the Green!
[signature]
What a brown! Way to make our dilemma seem like an obvious choice!
[signature]
Really, though, we catch multiple browns that big every time we fish the Fremont...last winter, my father and I caught 8 fish ranging from 19-24 inches from the same pool.

If you have never fished the A section of the Green or have not fished it very much and have fished the Fremont a lot, you might have a debate. Otherwise, I wouldn't even hesitate!
[signature]
It isn't anymore, We've fished the green plenty. We've been wanting to fish the fremont for quite sometime and i hear this time of year is the best because the marsh freezes in the bottoms. Thanks for the extra inspiration!
[signature]
Just to give you a quick disclaimer, fishing the bottoms can be lots of work even when it is frozen. I would strongly suggest using chest waders and expect wading through some mud. If you do that, though, and you fish the structure, you should catch some dang nice fish! I love fishing it in the winter. Be really patient fishing the structures and pools; many times it takes some effort to get a fish. Then, once you catch one, keep fishing. Multiple fish will hang in one pool and lots of times it only takes one to get them active. On a good day, though, you can't expect to catch lots of fish just some big ones. A good day on the Fremont might lead you to catching 10 fish. So, it is definitely different than the Green that way. But, they will be big, fat, and healthy. I usually use my 7 weight just to give me some more backbone when fighting them.
[signature]
Thanks again for the info! I figured we'd still be in for a bit of an adventure. Last time I went to capital reef I asked some Torrey locals about it and they proceeded to warn me about the "puss mud" and told me a story of some boys who got stuck out there for quite some time before someone found them and helped em out.
[signature]
I fished the Green for a good part of yesterday both above and below Little Hole. The midge fishing was pretty decent, with a BWO here and there. However, I also took a couple hours and fished a mouse and a couple of streamers after the sun went behind the mountain, and never had a grab on either. This was wade fishing, but they're still not really active enough to chase much.
[signature]
We did pretty good Friday evening on streamers. Saturday had a pretty good midge hatch and we did well on #20 dries and emergers on 7X. Sunday probably would have been the same if it hadn't been for the wind. Hooked into a couple surface feeders but that was about it. Seems to be a lot more healthy bows in that section than I remember.
[signature]
And one more...
[signature]
OH, I love that first underwater shot! Go-Pro, or a "real" underwater camera? I get a decent shot with my Go-Pro once in a while, when the light is perfect, but it just doesn't seem to grab the colors as well as my Pentax Optio.

Glad you had some success. I've also noticed some nice bows in that first stretch down below. I get mostly browns in the first run above though, up to the island.
[signature]
Thanks Tarponjim! It was a great weekend. My wife took those photos with a GoPro Hero 4 and they turned out a lot better than I thought due to the fact they were taken in low evening light.
[signature]