Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-5-16 Why?
Reminds me of some sturgeon trips when we have had equipment malfunctions. We have had them break our 80 pound leader when a reel has hung for even a second. Extremely frustrating (but really heart-pumping exciting) and disappointing to leave a hook and in some cases a little line in the mouth of a trophy fish.
[signature]
They are the ones that keep it exciting and interesting for sure. I've found that being equal gunned is the perfect set up to make it a perfect sport. I have a 10 WT fly rod that I got for Alaska and I got up there and found I should have had an 8 WT for most of the fish to be fun. My set up was so powerful the fish didn't have a chance and so it wasn't as fun as it could have been. Thanks for the chat. J
[signature]
Hey Kent that sounds like as close to ocean fishing as a guy can do in land. Someday I'd like to try that next step to really big stuff. That's why those tuna trips sound so fun to me. One day. Later J
[signature]
Nope I was serious. I'm talking about the truly giant cuts. Few and far between but in there. The macs I have caught are just a vertical fight, very similar to halibut. The big cuts go lateral, like you described.
[signature]
Yep, if it weren't for all of those dams, those sturgeon would still be migrating back and forth from the Pacific Ocean up The Columbia and then up The Snake River. I remember taking a guy off of this forum up there who had fished in the ocean often. I told him the power of these fish and he ignored me. After breaking off several fish I think he learned his lesson. It gets wild sometimes trying to get the boat ready to follow a large one before it spools you.
[signature]
I guess I'm going to have to catch more of the Cutts, the ones I got this year were really quite mellow fighters, almost like they knew they were natives and if they didn't struggle it would be easier on them before their release. But I know that fish to fish makes a big difference so I hope I find one like you mention. I love that wiper type fights. Thanks. J
[signature]
Man Kent they sound like an awesome fight. I need to try them sometime. What is their fight like a really big carp? Thanks for the info this is really interesting. Later J
[signature]
Seeing the reports from yesterday and today, what's your take on why one day can be so good and the next day shut down. Is it the crowds and noise, did we stick too many the day before, phase of moon, weather, why do you think it changed so much so quickly, or do you think others are catching fish and just not posting. Maybe the fish are tailgating today who knows??? Here's a picture of my whitefish take, just put them in the smoker so I'll have treats at work tomorrow. Later J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

What is their fight like a really big carp?

[/quote]

Look at the picture under my name. I would describe the fight as close to a marlin fight. The first time you see one jump with its tail flapping and its head shaking, all the same time, you will never compare it to a carp.
[signature]
Didn't mean the carp comparison as a slam, I think the carp are one of the best fighting fish there are, big, solid and pure power, but they don't typically go airborn, that's impressive... Do you see that very often? Kind of crazy that a big behemoth like that, that seems like a bottom dweller would be that active of a surface fighting fish... Keeps making me more interested in fishing for them... Just curious, do you have to have a special tag to fish for them, like the steelhead and salmon? If my memory is any good, they are catch and release only correct? What area do you typically do well fishing for them? Seems like I remember hearing they are in the snake up by Twin Falls and Burley aren't they? Now how far off am I in this statement, I had heard you fish for them sort of like catfish, big bait on the bottom...

An old family legend tells of using dead baby wiener pigs as bait and they used a cable wrapped around the wheel of an old Model T ford and put it in gear to winch in the fish... At one time I seen a picture of a wagon with the head of the sturgeon sticking out one end and the tail out the back of the wagon, it was a huge fish... Some of my relatives had a farm up in Burley and they would fish the snake while they were working the farm up that way... Maybe I need to get in touch with my heritage and go try them sometime... When is the best season to fish for them? Sorry for all the questions... J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]

Didn't mean the carp comparison as a slam, I think the carp are one of the best fighting fish there are, big, solid and pure power, but they don't typically go airborn, that's impressive... Do you see that very often?

[/quote]

Most of them over about 6' long will jump. I lost one on the fourth jump after fighting it for 40 minutes. Also, if one puts more pressure on them they are more likely to jump.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Just curious, do you have to have a special tag to fish for them, like the steelhead and salmon?

[/quote]

No, just a regular fishing license.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

If my memory is any good, they are catch and release only correct?

[/quote]

In all of Idaho, catch and release only and it is illegal to remove them from the water.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

What area do you typically do well fishing for them?

[/quote]

From Mountain Home area to Twin Falls.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Seems like I remember hearing they are in the snake up by Twin Falls and Burley aren't they?

[/quote]

I don't believe they are found near Burley, at least one guy told me there weren't any near there. Some are right below American Falls.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

Now how far off am I in this statement, I had heard you fish for them sort of like catfish, big bait on the bottom...

[/quote]

Trout morts are popular in some areas up there and also whole or 1/2 crappie are popular. We have our best luck on pickled herring, and not necessary to fish with a large bait.

[quote SkunkedAgain]

When is the best season to fish for them?

[/quote]

Not sure when the best season is. They can be caught year around. I like to fish for them as soon as it warms up in the spring and into the late fall, with the exception of July. It can get extremely hot (temperature wise) up there in July. My first trip this year is scheduled near the end of May.
[signature]
Thanks Kent, that sounds like a lot of fun. Someday I'll have to try them. Thanks for educating me a little bit. Later J
[signature]
Jeff! you have to quit taking knot tying lessons from Coyote! hehee j/k (now watch him chime in to defend himself) Smile

Seriously, maybe it's good I didn't hook into one of those big lakers with my 8# test. If I go there again, I'll put something heavier on, you know...just in case. And I'll have to find a better area to fish, for sure.

Great job on your catch!
[signature]
Hey Derek, yup I attended the Yote school of knots. Hate to see that kind of failure, but if it wasn't that I probably would have found another way to lose it. The 8 lb test should have worked okay, but I'm sure 10-12 lb leaders will be more safe. I know I'm taking fewer poles next time and they will all be rigged with a stronger setup just in case. I need to find some kastmasters, over the years loosing one or two at a time and all of a sudden I'm out of good ones. Wish I could find the old design, I'm not as happy with their changes, they seem cheap built for spendy lures. Oh well if anyone catches that Mac with my gold kastmaster still in its mouth I'll buy that back from you. Anyway next time I'll have to give you a text and see if you're going, would be fun to fish together. Later J
[signature]
Boy we must be bad fishermen, laying out that perfect offering to Yote and not a nibble.... Sometimes they hit sometimes they let it drift by... Later J
[signature]