Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Feb 10-12
I was having withdrawals seeing my boat sitting out in the snow, and after reading some enticing posts by Bassrods, Sotally Tober, and some guys on Waynes Words I decided I had to just do it. So I booked a room at Ticaboo, loaded up with spoons and anchovies and headed down. It was a good call. The weather was absolutely perfect, warm and extremely calm, and the fishing was great too. Spoons and anchovies worked equally well, whenever I was over fish. I had walleye and striper fillets tonight and they were all fantastic! I highly recommend a trip to Powell right now, you won't regret it!
[signature]
We are headed to Bullfrog tomorrow and will stay on the houseboat for a few days. How do you rig your anchovies. We have never had much success fishing anchovies, we generally troll leadcore line in Bullfrog and Halls.
Thanks
[signature]
Lucky you, the weather is fantastic down there right now. The most popular way to rig anchovies is on a 3/8 oz round white jig head. I bought a package of about 25 at Cabela's several years ago. The heavier weight gets the bait down quickly, and doesn't affect the bite. I would think trolling would work well too. You have to be right on a school to catch them with anchovies or spoons, and some people use trolling mostly to locate the school, then immediately drop spoons or anchovies into them.
[signature]
A couple "before and after" pics. The fish has one of the jigs in its mouth that I use with anchovies. That's my fish finder in the red vest.
[signature]
Looks warm! =) where did you fish at? [reply][/reply]
[signature]
The picture was taken while fishing the mouth of Hansen, looking straight across the lake at the mouth of Crystal Spring.
[signature]
That looks like my fish finder! I need to get him a vest he gets so excited when I'm reeling in a fish he sometimes falls in. Haven't had to net him yet though[Smile]

I have been thinking about Powell lately. I thought it would be good if the gorge and Bear Lake froze over but I hate not being able to fish in the boat.

Thanks for the report
[signature]